Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good amp for classic CMB-170 pair in an office

Default Re: Good amp for classic CMB-170 pair in an office

Quote Originally Posted by tknice View Post
    Are you saying I'd plug the Modi2 directly into the PC via USB as another option?
    Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post

I agree with Curtis to use Optical over USB when possible. There's just too many things that go wrong with USB. I have always preferred the sound of an optical transport.
    But I think I would go with the Modi 2 USB connection to a PC before the headphone jack of the iPhone.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    But I think I would go with the Modi 2 USB connection to a PC before the headphone jack of the iPhone.
    How about optical out of the chromecast audio to the Modi 2? That's what I'd be doing. The iphone connects to the chromecast via wifi just to control it.

I like the idea of being able to switch between the computer and the chromecast audio as a source.

Edit: Oh I see now.. I'm looking at the Modi 2 Uber which is a little more--$149.
    Last edited by tknice; 04-27-2017 at 07:18 AM.
    Video: JVC RS540 w/Lens & 122" 2.35:1 CIH / HDFury Vertex 2 w/Dolby Vision
    Audio: Marantz SR7010 / XPA-3 / UPA-7 Sources: Nvidia Shield / Xbox One
    7. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 Ex (L R C), Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE (side & rear)
    2. Subs: SVS PC-2000 & eD A3-300 12" / Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers
    4 HTM-200SE for Atmos/DTS:X
    Theater Pics / Desktop

How about optical out of the chromecast audio to the Modi 2? That's what I'd be doing. The iphone connects to the chromecast via wifi just to control it.
    I am just skeptical of the quality/bitrate that is being sent to the Chromecast. I'm not thinking about the convenience factor, just sound quality, but I totally understand where you are coming from.
    -curtis

I like the idea of being able to switch between the computer and the chromecast audio as a source.

Edit: Oh I see now.. I'm looking at the Modi 2 Uber which is a little more--$149.
    I think this is your best bet. As Curtis said, it might not be the highest bitrate, but it'll still be better than using the Chromecast DAC.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by nwilcox View Post
    I'm looking to put a pair of classic (not SE) CBM-170s to use in my office, which is about 16' x 12' x 10'. I would never listen beyond a low-moderate volume...

How far away are you sitting from the speakers? I'd say moderate volume is probably less than 75db. You'd likely need less than 10watts/ch to make that. Anyways, I think you can probably get away with less expensive amplifiers.