Thread: Good amp for classic CMB-170 pair in an office

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Good amp for classic CMB-170 pair in an office

I'm looking to put a pair of classic (not SE) CBM-170s to use in my office, which is about 16' x 12' x 10'. I would never listen beyond a low-moderate volume. The following three options seem sensible to me and range from $230 to $380 (giving a sense of my current thinking on price).

Emotiva BasX a-100
    Parasound Zamp v.3
    NAD C 319 BEE

I'll be grateful for comments, observations, warnings and/or other alternatives I should be considering. I think each of these should be plenty powerful enough, but if I'm wrong please say so!

Thanks for your attention and your two cents.

Default Re: Good amp for classic CMB-170 pair in an office

Any one of those would be more than fine.

Get the least expensive, and then call Ascend on the cost of upgrading the speaker to the SE version.
    -curtis

Thanks curtis. Took your advice several years ago on another matter and have not been disappointed. And it's interesting that that the 170s may be upgradeable.

I noticed you say "more than fine"... I'm certainly willing to be persuaded that I could part with fewer dead presidents and be equally happy...

I was using emotiva mini xa-100 with Sierra 2's for awhile (desktop setup) with zero issues.

I am using the BasX A-100 as a headphone amp and think that should do very well with the 170's also. It's probably the lowest price of the 3 you listed and it is a very solidly built amp. No need to spend any more, plus it has an excellent headphone section, too.

Thanks kyzersoze98 and monkuboy, confidence increasing for the a-100.

Quote Originally Posted by nwilcox View Post
    I'm looking to put a pair of classic (not SE) CBM-170s to use in my office, which is about 16' x 12' x 10'. I would never listen beyond a low-moderate volume...

How far away are you sitting from the speakers? I'd say moderate volume is probably less than 75db. You'd likely need less than 10watts/ch to make that. Anyways, I think you can probably get away with less expensive amplifiers.