Hello everyone,

I'm new to Ascend, I've never owned any or heard any before. From what I've been reading however they are very well regarded by almost everyone that I can find.

I'm moving into a new house in June and already starting to think about the great room. It's a typical layout, open to the eat in kitchen, windows on one side, fireplace and a TV mounted above, etc.

I know in-ceiling speakers would be the most "elegant" solution. But I really don't like what I read about their sound.

I have a few questions for you guys if you don't mind:

1) I'll have shelves on both sides of the fireplace, so I'm thinking of bookshelves there. I don't think however that the WAF is going to like the size of the 340's in vertical mode there. Does anyone use 340's on their side horizontally with a 340C centre? Is that overkill or would the 170's as mains really be enough? I should add this is really for TV and Movies. Not reference level loud either. I'll be adding a sub as well.

2) I'm not sure what I would do for the side speakers for 5.1. Obviously the 170's seem like the obvious choice, I'm concerned about how large they will look being mounted on the wall and basically in the middle of the room. That might not be doable. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!