Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: New stereo set up for music with CBM-170 SE

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    26

    Default New stereo set up for music with CBM-170 SE

    Hello.

    For my bedroom, I'd like a receiver to stream network over ethernet connection. Looking to put on desk.

    Looking at Yamaha R-N402 or N602 or Marantz M*CR611 with the CBM*170SE, or whatever anyone else can come up with at a price under $1000.

    I like classical music. The Marantz also has a cd and alarm feature that the Yamaha does not have, but, power may be an issue.

    Crutch field has the ELAC Debut B6 bookshelf, but, I'm a little scared by them, because some say they are "Bas-ey". That is why I keep coming back to Ascend. I own the Sierras with the kit to make them Sierra 2 for my front/center speakers in my main room, with a Denon X4000.

    I was looking for a little warmer sound, but, not just warm by turning up base and lowering the highs. So, I'm wanting to pair the bookshelf Ascends with a nice stereo system that can run Sirius/and internet radio.

    Any thoughts? Should I go with separate amp/tuner, or, would that be too expensive.

    Out of my depth.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Pennsylvania
    Posts
    405

    Default Re: New stereo set up for music with CBM-170 SE

    I'd suggest the HTM-200s. Since the speakers will be on a desk the bass could possible be amplified too much. The 200s roll off around 80hz and sound great in corners and so forth. You could also pick up some inexpensive bookshelves locally to get a feel for how they sound in your location
    Nate

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SouthWest of Cleveland
    Posts
    1,499

    Default Re: New stereo set up for music with CBM-170 SE

    Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I'd suggest the HTM-200s. Since the speakers will be on a desk the bass could possible be amplified too much. The 200s roll off around 80hz and sound great in corners and so forth. You could also pick up some inexpensive bookshelves locally to get a feel for how they sound in your location
    I took his post to mean he already has the CBM-170's and wants to pair it with an Amp, Receiver, Streaming device, etc. and is seeking suggestions as such.

    catsAf, am I correct?
    Ed

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: New stereo set up for music with CBM-170 SE

    Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I took his post to mean he already has the CBM-170's and wants to pair it with an Amp, Receiver, Streaming device, etc. and is seeking suggestions as such.

    catsAf, am I correct?
    Oh, no, I don't have them...in fact, I had just seen the HTM*200s last night, and was wondering about them, as I won't have a sub in this room....but, I would like your opinions. Would the HTMs sound good in mostly classical, some big band music? I'm interested in the other components, too...what would ya'll use.

    But, yes, my main question, now that you answered about the speakers is what Amp, Receiver, Streaming Device, etc....


    Thanks

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Pennsylvania
    Posts
    405

    Default Re: New stereo set up for music with CBM-170 SE

    I tried to put some bookshelves with ports (not Ascend) next to my mom's tv and they sounded awful. One was in a corner and it made the bass really boomy. The HTM-200s won't have that problem. But if you're putting them on a desk and they have space around them, then the 170s would be the better sounding speaker without a sub.
    Nate

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: New stereo set up for music with CBM-170 SE

    Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I tried to put some bookshelves with ports (not Ascend) next to my mom's tv and they sounded awful. One was in a corner and it made the bass really boomy. The HTM-200s won't have that problem. But if you're putting them on a desk and they have space around them, then the 170s would be the better sounding speaker without a sub.
    More to consider! LOL!
    I will have a bit of room, so, I may opt for the 170s.

    What stereo configuration would you put with them?

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SouthWest of Cleveland
    Posts
    1,499

    Default Re: New stereo set up for music with CBM-170 SE

    Quote Originally Posted by catsAf View Post
    Oh, no, I don't have them...in fact, I had just seen the HTM*200s last night, and was wondering about them, as I won't have a sub in this room....but, I would like your opinions. Would the HTMs sound good in mostly classical, some big band music? I'm interested in the other components, too...what would ya'll use.

    But, yes, my main question, now that you answered about the speakers is what Amp, Receiver, Streaming Device, etc....


    Thanks
    I stand corrected!

    If you are not using a sub I'd stick with the CBM-170's.
    For an amp/streamer/receiver that fits your overall budget here is one example: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...umber=MAMCR611

    **One other speaker option I can recommend is the HVL-1 from Wavecrest Audio. They were designed by Dave F. himself. https://www.wavecrestaudio.com/produ...udspeaker-pair
    They are front ported so maybe a better option.
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 03-15-2017 at 09:46 AM.
    Ed

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: New stereo set up for music with CBM-170 SE

    Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I stand corrected!

    If you are not using a sub I'd stick with the CBM-170's.
    For an amp/streamer/receiver that fits your overall budget here is one example: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...umber=MAMCR611

    **One other speaker option I can recommend is the HVL-1 from Wavecrest Audio. They were designed by Dave F. himself. https://www.wavecrestaudio.com/produ...udspeaker-pair
    They are front ported so maybe a better option.
    Thank you so much. I will definitely check out both, and really appreciate your help. I have not seen these things, and I am thankful for your input.

    Take care.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SouthWest of Cleveland
    Posts
    1,499

    Default Re: New stereo set up for music with CBM-170 SE

    No problem! I see in your original post that you mentioned the Marantz I linked to. Didn't realize that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •