Thread: Speaker audition (TN)

Default Speaker audition (TN)

i was referred to this site by someone over on the AVS forums. I am looking for a system for mainly HT (90%) but some music - want to end up with a 3.1 system and willing to build up to that. Currently have a 3.1 budget system in my roughly 16' x 18' downstairs den.My audio setup is in the upstairs living room and we are looking to build a home. When we do, I am looking for a system that will handle both - at that time it would be a 50/50 mix between music and HT. A key requirement for me in the HT theatre application is dialogue clarity. I have auditioned some systems that had very poor clarity, especially from the CC. In music, i listen to all genres at modest volumes - my days of shaking the walls and foundation are past. FWIW, of what I have heard, I would buy the Paradigm speakers (Monitor 11's probably or small Prestige series if I can catch the wife in a good day -- she doesn't quite appreciate this stuff as much as I do) if I were buying today.

Anyway, with that all being said, anyone have any Ascend speakers (any model) that they would be willing to audition. Hoping to hear the S2's especially but am open to them all. I live in mid Tn but would be willing to drive a bit. I have some family in the Memphis area so get over there frequently. Thanks!

Default Re: Speaker audition (TN)

Hey 4shotB. Unfortunately I would not be able to help you with an audition as I live in Socal. But I would say that dialogue clarity is definitely one of the strengths of my Sierra 2s. Even at low volumes it's very clear. That is unless the person on screen mumbles, in which case it can be hard to understand even at higher volumes. But that has more to do with the person talking than any fault of the speakers.

Default Re: Speaker audition (TN)

I do not know if my fellow statesmen are A) not active or present on this site, B) do not own this fine product (it is internet direct meaning one has to have access to/awareness of the internet C) illiterate and therefore cannot read/respond to my post D) unable to demo speakers due to incarceration for possession and distribution of meth, moonshine, prescription meds,etc. or E) just painfully introverted and thus do not want a total stranger invading their trailer for the sake of listening to their sound system or possibly F) some combination of the above. Apparently our nickname as the "Volunteer state" does not extend to auditioning speakers.

with that being said, I would be open to listening to speakers in neighboring states, which would cover a good portion of the SE. Atlanta is extremely accessible as is Louisville, Lexington, Asheville NC. Anyone?