Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAQ for the forum

smokey is offline Forum Founder
    Volunteer Administrator

Another feature for the FAQ will be a list of other important online sites for stereo and home theater discussions or information. Here is a start:

avs speakers
    hometheater forum
    speaker asylum
    home theater spot
    audioreview
    audiogon
    ascend
    axiom
    rocket
    hsu
    svs

Smokey

Thanks, the Management.

smokey is offline Forum Founder
    Volunteer Administrator

Guys! (and gals of course!)

We're falling down on the job. We need more FAQ input! Are there any other home theater/audio websites that we need links for? Have any of you made great posts elsewhere that you think we should link to? Any general comments that apply to the whole project of speakers?

I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

-Smokey

Thanks, the Management.

Smokey, it might be nice to paste a link to Bradjudy's Ascend review.

I asked Brad if I could post a copy of his review in the review section.

-curtis

try audioreview.com

How about recommendations for using the Radio Shack SPL meter for fine tuning one's system. Eventhough the analog RS SPL meter is recommended by AVIA (hometheater calibration DVD), the RS SPL meter does not provide accurate measurements for upper and lower feq.

Adjustment / offsets to get true audio db readings:
    http://www.danmarx.org/audioinnovation/rsmeter.html

Modifications suggested for the analog RS SPL meter:
    http://www.gti.net/wallin/audio/rsme...0/33-2050.html

Allow a newcomer to ask a stupid question.

I have 340c and 170 l/r mains. Is htm200 or 170 better to be a surround speaker? The reason I ask this question is that, 170 won some awards as main speakers, and htm200 is designed as a surround speaker. Maybe htm200 has better performance, for a surround speaker. I listen music and watch movies using the system.

Thanks,

ilikeascend,

I wouldn't consider the HTM-200 as 'designed as a surround'. It is sold for all of the positions and works well in each. It isn't like a di/bipole that is specifically designed as a surround.

The general rule of thumb has been that the HTM-200 is a great surround and that the main motivation for moving up to the CBM-170 is if multichannel audio (DVD-A/SACD) is important to you.

I have had both as surrounds and they both do a very good job.

Another item to consider is crossover control. If your receiver has a single crossover setting for all 5 speakers, it won't be ideal for both the 170s and 200s. If it lets you control the rear crossover separate from the fronts, then you're fine with either set of rears.

Hello Smokey, how about a link to the Part's Express Tech-Talk message board.
    http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl

Brad, seeing as you're familiar with all three models, I wonder if I could pick your brains. []

I'm considering getting 2 CBM-170s, a CMT-340c and 2 HTM-200s, the latter wall-mounted as surrounds. I have pre-ordered an SVS PB10-ISD sub and am planning to use one of the new h/k receivers, likely the AVR 635, when it becomes available. The h/k does allow separate crossover points, and studying the response curves for the different models, I have decided on 60 Hz for the CMT-340c, 80 Hz for the 170s and 100 Hz for the 200s, subject to experimentation and measurement, of course.

Would you concur, based on your experience, or have other suggestions? Anyone else is welcome to chime in, of course. Forums like these are one of the many things that make the internet-based audio experience great! []