Thread: New Sierra Owner

Default New Sierra Owner

Hey everyone, received my espresso Sierra 1s and stands yesterday morning and could not be happier. When I fist unboxed speakers honestly I thought the espresso finish was a little dark for me, but when I put them on the black stands in my music room holy shit are they nice looking. A little background on myself, I love vintage audio, my main amp is a recapped Sansui Au-717 with 2 turntables hooked up. My main table is a redone beautiful Technics 1210MKII and my other is a Denon 300 in use for auto feature. The Sierras were bought to replace my vintage Infinity RS-5s, amazing speakers that are going into my living room system. I have been looking at ascends for years due to all the positive reviews and finally made the plunge, wow only a day in and I am very happy. These are my first NEW set of real speakers, been listening to some of my favorite recordings and am shocked how well these little monsters sound, they are very detailed,tight and punchy. I am a huge deadhead into jazz, Zappa, classic rock, and progressive rock, playing Yes Fragile yesterday I noticed some percussion sounds I don't believe I have ever noticed before.
    I bought these over the Kef ls 50 due to 30 day trial period and honestly I was worried the Kefs may be more brighter than what I prefer. I know it has only been about 24 hours but these are not going back, absolutely love them everything I have played sounds fantastic to my ears. The build quality and packaging of these speakers is top notch, just wanted to say thanks to Dave and his team for providing an exceptional value to a blue collar audiophile. Also would like to give a shout out to all of you on these forums for all the positive comments about this product and info you gave me during my decision making process, which was a couple of months. Peace Mark

Default Re: New Sierra Owner

Quote Originally Posted by zappafan2 View Post
    Hey everyone, received my espresso Sierra 1s and stands yesterday morning and could not be happier. When I fist unboxed speakers honestly I thought the espresso finish was a little dark for me, but when I put them on the black stands in my music room holy shit are they nice looking. A little background on myself, I love vintage audio, my main amp is a recapped Sansui Au-717 with 2 turntables hooked up. My main table is a redone beautiful Technics 1210MKII and my other is a Denon 300 in use for auto feature. The Sierras were bought to replace my vintage Infinity RS-5s, amazing speakers that are going into my living room system. I have been looking at ascends for years due to all the positive reviews and finally made the plunge, wow only a day in and I am very happy. These are my first NEW set of real speakers, been listening to some of my favorite recordings and am shocked how well these little monsters sound, they are very detailed,tight and punchy. I am a huge deadhead into jazz, Zappa, classic rock, and progressive rock, playing Yes Fragile yesterday I noticed some percussion sounds I don't believe I have ever noticed before.
    I bought these over the Kef ls 50 due to 30 day trial period and honestly I was worried the Kefs may be more brighter than what I prefer. I know it has only been about 24 hours but these are not going back, absolutely love them everything I have played sounds fantastic to my ears. The build quality and packaging of these speakers is top notch, just wanted to say thanks to Dave and his team for providing an exceptional value to a blue collar audiophile. Also would like to give a shout out to all of you on these forums for all the positive comments about this product and info you gave me during my decision making process, which was a couple of months. Peace Mark
    Thanks for sharing your feedback Mark and for putting your confidence in us Going to copy this over to our reviews section.

Enjoy!!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Great review. I'm a new owner of the Sierra 1 as well, and I went with the Satin Cherry finish. It's gorgeous!

I concur on the sound characteristics as well, these speakers have to be the biggest giant killer out there. They just disappear into a 3d soundstage, the bass is amazing for a bookshelf and you can't listen to just one song.

Hey zappafan,

Our paths to sonic satisfaction share some similarities.
    I restarted about 2010, after a hiatus that began in early '80's, by getting into vintage audio when the nest started emptying.

Pioneer receivers were my thing until I tried a Sansui G5300 (my son has it now), not high in the Sansui food chain, but it sounded richer & fuller than my beloved Pioneer's.

Moved on to components. I was looking for a Sansui integrated amp, when a Soundcraftsman A2502 MOSFET amplifier caught my attention. Took some work to get it up to snuff and it remains my frontline amplifier.
    Your AU-717 is highly regarded and I'm sure you're very proud of it.

Did the recapping and surround replacement trip on vintage speakers for a while which was interesting and cool, but never got me quite where I wanted to be. Large Advent's got close, but the tweeter was a little lacking and seeking improvement trying to match a tweeter for replacement is a real crap shoot.
    So, I started looking.......

Then, like you, I recently made the jump to Ascend (CBM-340SE's) for speakers and I'm glad I did. That became really glad when I added a Rythmik L12. Wahoo!

I even have some history with the inestimable Mr. Zappa. Went to a show (can't really call it a concert)of
    his in Geneva, N.Y. back in '74. Most of his work is over my head, but "Apostrophe" and "Overnight Sensation" remain 2 of my all time favorite albums.

Rock on, everybody.