Thread: Speaker placement

Default Speaker placement

Using Sierra 1 or 2 as L and R how far from the back wall is optimal?

Default Re: Speaker placement

Quote Originally Posted by moe53 View Post
    Using Sierra 1 or 2 as L and R how far from the back wall is optimal?
    At a minimum, twice the diameter of the port. At a maximum, half the length into the room. Those are good rules of thumb for most speakers, but the Sierra series speakers aren't that picky with placement.

Getting a couple of feet from the sidewall is also important.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    At a minimum, twice the diameter of the port. At a maximum, half the length into the room. Those are good rules of thumb for most speakers, but the Sierra series speakers aren't that picky with placement.

Getting a couple of feet from the sidewall is also important.
    Thanks. I'll experiment when I get them.

Quote Originally Posted by moe53 View Post
    Thanks. I'll experiment when I get them.
    My advice you never know until you try. Sometimes we think what is right may not be because of the room. Just because it may not be the norm don't hesitate to try the unexpected just mho.
    Have fun and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Wadia171i View Post
    My advice you never know until you try. Sometimes we think what is right may not be because of the room. Just because it may not be the norm don't hesitate to try the unexpected just mho.
    Have fun and enjoy!
    I would try to stay away from even numbers when dealing with placement. Back wall and side wall.
    Last edited by Wadia171i; 02-10-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Sounds like good advice. I'll keep that in mind when I'm setting up my new room.
    Last edited by Siphon; 12-06-2023 at 12:03 PM.

Again rules of thumb are great. Being in audio when we were putting multiple systems in some show rooms you never no what will work. Yes there are obvious rules of placement. But that dos not mean that will work in your environment. Waf, traffic, palcement of entertainment center are all variables of not ideal placement. The S2's are easy about placement most definitely.
    Good luck don't get to technical about use your ears and enjoy your speakers. Also a sub or two can help with less tha ideal placement because the bass is very tricky to get right at times. Which is usually the problem in domestic situations.

Sounds like good advice. I'll keep that in mind when I'm setting up my new room.
    Last edited by Rephraim; 10-16-2021 at 02:30 AM.