Thread: Sierra-2 X-over settings: FMOD 50 Hz, FMOD 70 Hz, Q-plug A or none?

Default Sierra-2 X-over settings: FMOD 50 Hz, FMOD 70 Hz, Q-plug A or none?

Trying to plan a 2.1 system for music only. Using a Emotiva preamp/DAC which does not have subwoofer crossover capabilities.

What would you use to send only the lowest Hz to the sub? I will crossover the sub at about 60-80Hz.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Sierra-2 X-over settings: FMOD 50 Hz, FMOD 70 Hz, Q-plug A or none?

Quote Originally Posted by assassin View Post
    Trying to plan a 2.1 system for music only. Using a Emotiva preamp/DAC which does not have subwoofer crossover capabilities.

What would you use to send only the lowest Hz to the sub? I will crossover the sub at about 60-80Hz.

Thanks in advance.
    Buy a Rythmik sub like an F12 or something similar that has a low pass filter/high pass outputs on the subwoofer amp. These crossovers are usually fixed at 80 Hz, which will work fine. Connect your preamp to the sub inputs, and connect the outputs to your amp and you're all set.

If you really want to tinker with it and play with crossover points and slopes, buy a miniDSP 2x4. It will give you the most flexibility of anything you can do besides buying an XSP-1 or an XMC-1.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Ok let's say I don't have that subwoofer. Then what would you recommend?

The minidsp 2x4 plus a calibration mic would do the job. What sub do you have? Do you have a laptop? Are you willing to tinker with measurements and settings to get it calibrated properly?
    Nate

Ok let's say I don't have that subwoofer. Then what would you recommend?
    If you don't have a subwoofer with a crossover I'd go with a miniDSP 2x4.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

I have an older paradigm sub. Not sure the model number.

Source is a HTPC running jriver over optical. Mainly SACD, FLAC, etc.

Probably don't have the expertise to get it all calibrated.

The sub has a low pass crossover. I'm looking to cut off the sub 50-70 Hz at the Sierra 2 but only if I need to it or if would be helpful.

The sub has a low pass crossover. I'm looking to cut off the sub 50-70 Hz at the Sierra 2 but only if I need to it or if would be helpful.
    Using the crossover on the sub is a good idea. It is very easy to pick out the sub if it's playing sounds much above 80 Hz. The other general goal is to use a high pass crossover with the bookshelves. That eliminates the speakers from playing the same notes. Having the Sierra-2s and subwoofer both playing the same thing could result in a loss of sound at some frequencies while overemphasizing other frequencies. If you aren't going to put a crossover on the Sierra-2s than I would use the Q-plugs and set the subwoofer at 50.
    Nate

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

Yes the sub has a low pass crossover. I plan on using it.

What I'm trying to find out if there is a benefit with cutting the lowest frequencies to the Sierra 2 with with a crossover, a fmod filter, or with the Q plugs? Or should I just leave the Sierra 2 alone?

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

Yes the sub has a low pass crossover. I plan on using it.

What I'm trying to find out if there is a benefit with cutting the lowest frequencies to the Sierra 2 with with a crossover, a fmod filter, or with the Q plugs? Or should I just leave the Sierra 2 alone?
    One advantage of using a crossover with the Sierra-2s is that they don't have to try to play the lowest frequencies which demands a lot of current. I prefer my setup with the fronts crossed over at 80 vs playing full range. It shouldn't be too hard for you to try some different settings to see what you like the best. Some bass sweeps could help with trying to get a smooth frequency response. This website looks interestinghttp://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_index.php
    Nate