Thread: FM8 setup advice for use in 'Music' and 'Home Theater'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: FM8 setup advice for use in 'Music' and 'Home Theater'

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    I was actually referring to the crossover on the sub itself. I also have the XMC-1 and I love it. I'd recommend exploring the settings a bit. If I set my fronts to large, the crossover option is disabled. That means the bass from the main left and right channels will only be sent to the front speakers and not the sub. The only bass your sub will play is the LFE channel from movies. That is unless your turn on "enhanced bass." Turning this option on will then send bass to both your speakers and your subs. Although, this will probably make the bass sound a little overbearing. Also, unlike Audyssey, Dirac makes no decision on where to set a crossover for speakers that are configured as small. Instead, Dirac simply does a full range EQ of all channels and leaves it up to the user to decide which speakers to set as small and which crossover to use.

I know you said you love the way your system sounds right now, and I'm not trying to throw a wrench into your setup. I've probably spent close to 50 hours playing around with Dirac on my XMC-1, so I thought I'd share my experience with it.
    Gotcha, sorry I misunderstood. I'm definitely just getting started on exploring all of the options. I do have enchanced bass turned on with my speakers set to large, but I've just recently been toying with it. I haven't even touched the target curves yet. When I didn't have enhanced bass I still noticed quite a bit of activity from the subs, but I don't remember there being a LFE+Main option like in Audyssey, so I definitely need to tinker with my settings and see what I did, lol. It just sounds so great from the default settings and curves it's hard to find the time to tinker more, I rented 8 movies from redbox in the last week =D

I'll probably start a new thread here to discuss Dirac results just for Sierra systems. I've been wanting to post my before/after graphs and see what other people have/are doing, etc.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Just started looking at new Processors- and Emotiva just made announcement on their new RMC-1 at CES: 'A definite candidate'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1z3j8ov2rE

Just finished setting up with the Magnepan 1.7is - and the FM8's blend in as I hoped- probably even better after everything 'breaks in'. I have the Magnepans 30 inches out from backwall with tweeters inboard and angled in- and the FM8s inboard of each one. Audyssey set the Magnepans as 'small' with crossover @ 60 hz.