Thread: CD vs MP3 listening test

Default CD vs MP3 listening test

Another thread peaked my interest in this topic. So I looked around and found this test. There are 6 music tracks to listen to. Each track has 3 options, uncompressed WAV (CD quality), 320kbps MP3, and 128kpbs MP3. After listening to each clip, you select the one that sounds best. Give it a try and let's see your results.

I scored 3 out of 6. The 3 that I got wrong, I chose 320kbps. I tried this test at 3am and I'm pretty groggy right now. Might do better if I was wide awake. At least I didn't pick the 128kbps as the best sounding.

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecor...-audio-quality

Default Re: CD vs MP3 listening test

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    Another thread peaked my interest in this topic. So I looked around and found this test. There are 6 music tracks to listen to. Each track has 3 options, uncompressed WAV (CD quality), 320kbps MP3, and 128kpbs MP3. After listening to each clip, you select the one that sounds best. Give it a try and let's see your results.

I scored 3 out of 6. The 3 that I got wrong, I chose 320kbps. I tried this test at 3am and I'm pretty groggy right now. Might do better if I was wide awake. At least I didn't pick the 128kbps as the best sounding.

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecor...-audio-quality
    Thanks for the link. I just hooked up my stereo to my laptop to give this a listen through my Sierra-2s. I scored 4 out of 6 correct, with my two misses being 320kbps. I'm curios if these files are level-matched.
    Nate

Unhappy Re: CD vs MP3 listening test

I am deaf. Cannot tell the difference listening with Sony MDRV6 Studio Monitor Headphones. The more I listen to them the more they sounded the same.

Guessed 3 out of 6.

Default Re: CD vs MP3 listening test

I got 4 of 6. Very subtle differences.