Thread: Sierra Towers + Sierra 1 NrT Center vs Sierra 2 LCR

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Sierra Towers + Sierra 1 NrT Center vs Sierra 2 LCR

To many people focus on lower bass extension when comparing bookshelf against towers and thats easy to fix with a sub. Regardless if you have a sub or not there isn't many bookshelf speakers on the market that are going to have the same mid bass impact that a good set of towers do. They sound great at first listen because the highs and voices are good and if you have a sub with them all the low bass is there too but the drums just don't hit like they do with towers. Now you could get a couple f8s to go with the bookshelves and cross them much higher than normal to get that impact back but now you have to place them close to the bookshelves but that defeats most of the benefit of not having towers in the first place.

I have not heard any of Ascends speakers yet so I really don't know how their bookshelf compares to their towers, I have some RAAL towers coming to replace my axiom m80s (three way towers). I also have a pair of Axiom m3s their 6.5" bookshelf model. With an SVS SB13-U in a room that is about 24x26 mixed living room kitchen dining room combo there is just no comparison between the drum impact and fullness of the towers compared to the bookshelf. When I decided to replace the Axioms I really wanted to get rid of the towers and that was my excuse for getting the wife to be ok with me buying new speakers lol. As I was looking for a new set of bookshelves I kept remembering that I never liked the drums on the bookshelves in my big room so I pulled them back out of storage and tried every way I could to get them to sound like the towers and they just couldn't. That night I took the wife out for a few drinks and broke the bad news to her that she wasn't getting her floor space back and ordered the towers the next day

We also don't run a center channel and really haven't missed it but we mostly listen to music / watch concerts or tv on it. The wife doesn't like watching tv / movies at high volume because she is usually reading something and not really paying attention anyway... Someday when we move to a different house I might try a horizon right now we don't really have the room for the equipment we already have

GL with whatever you choose!
    Last edited by rneill; 01-24-2017 at 12:13 PM.
    MacMini -> Emotiva XMC-1 -> Emotiva SA-250 -> RAAL Towers / SVS SB13-U