Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What other equipment do you use with your Ascend speakers? What is your next upgrade?

Default Re: What other equipment do you use with your Ascend speakers? What is your next upgr

Quote Originally Posted by Mose Harper View Post
    I have the same minus the subs.

They're driven by a NAD T-752 circa 2001/2 so of course it's missing all the latest room correction bells and whistles. It doesn't even have HDMI inputs- tho that doesn't matter as I'm only connected via the analog channels to my region modded Oppo 103. The video just goes direct to the PJ.

So far I'm happy/satisfied with everything. I find the HTM 200s to work extraordinarily well as surrounds so I'm not in a big hurry to try the Lunas just yet. Maybe several years from now.

I don't know how much life is left in the AVR so that'll probably be the next upgrade at some point.
    Nice system. It's good to avoid all of the new bells and whistles in AVR's until you actually need them. Using the Oppo that way is a great idea, you get the most bang for your buck that way.

I'm also really happy with the HTM's in surround. They match really well and they put up a massive soundstage for such a tiny speaker. They don't call too much attention to themselves, either, but they are still very clear. I decided to upgrade my preamp before the surrounds because of the issues I was having and I think it's the best decision for my HT for now.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Default Re: What other equipment do you use with your Ascend speakers? What is your next upgr

I think I'm pretty much set on upgrading to Sierra 2 LCR or Sierra Towers with a Sierra 1 NrT Center, to pair with my Pioneer Elite VSX-30 AVR which has been a solid performer for me. I've got a Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable for music and a 55" LG LED 1080p TV that I'm pretty happy with.

I think after the Sierras I'll look into replacing my 10" BIC America sub with an F12 or possibly one of the new Oppo Blu Ray players so I can also venture into SACDs and DVD-Audio discs!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcrowing View Post

I think after the Sierras I'll look into replacing my 10" BIC America sub with an F12 or possibly one of the new Oppo Blu Ray players so I can also venture into SACDs and DVD-Audio discs!
    I would replace the sub first. Its sound quality will not match the Sierra-2's...or any Ascend speaker IMO.
    -curtis

Yeah it's definitely the weak point but I currently have no way to play DVDs, Blu Rays, SACDs, etc... but I can play records and laserdiscs! Ha!

LG 55EG9100 55" OLED TV
    5 x Sierra-2 piano black
    2 x JL Audio F112 subwoofers
    Emotiva XMC-1 pre/pro
    Emotiva XPA-5 amp
    Custom built PC for all media playback

I really love my setup. Next upgrade will be a 65" OLED, but not for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Mose Harper View Post
    I have the same minus the subs.

They're driven by a NAD T-752 circa 2001/2 so of course it's missing all the latest room correction bells and whistles. It doesn't even have HDMI inputs- tho that doesn't matter as I'm only connected via the analog channels to my region modded Oppo 103. The video just goes direct to the PJ.

So far I'm happy/satisfied with everything. I find the HTM 200s to work extraordinarily well as surrounds so I'm not in a big hurry to try the Lunas just yet. Maybe several years from now.

I don't know how much life is left in the AVR so that'll probably be the next upgrade at some point.
    Had a T-752 before I got my current Emotiva Fusion 8100. Loved that NAD, I used it with no sub and drove my 6 Ohm front LR full range speakers without missing a beat.

I actually still have it, broken on my workbench in the basement. Several caps leaked, some day I may repair it and use it for a 2-ch system.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcrowing View Post
    Yeah it's definitely the weak point but I currently have no way to play DVDs, Blu Rays, SACDs, etc... but I can play records and laserdiscs! Ha!
    Buy a cheap Blu-ray player to hold you over.
    -curtis

Vizio E600i-B3 60" LED TV
    3 x Sierra-2 natural US cabinets
    2 x HTM-200SE surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP
    Sherwood/Newcastle R972 w/Trinnov (this will be my next upgrade..probably to an XMC-1...hard to justify now and lose Trinnov, but I need to prepare for 4K)
    ATI 1505 amp...this thing is a tank and sounds great
    Oppo BDP-83 universal disc player
    TiVo Bolt
    JRiver iD
    Apple TV 4th gen
    Sonos (not in use)
    Last edited by curtis; 01-17-2017 at 09:45 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    I ordered a pair of CMT-340 last week as my new LR speakers, do I qualify for this thread? They will be happily driven by an Emotiva Fusion 8100. It is a mixed music/HT system, 5.1 with a Rythmik L12 taking care of the low end.

I am not as finicky with HT as I am with 2-ch music, so the rest of the speakers are an odd collection of an Audiosource MTM as Central speaker and a couple of 3-way Altec Lansing as Surrounds.

I am still holding onto an old Vizio 42" LCD, I want to jump straight to a 4k OLED in the 50" range once prices gets little lower. I also have a Seiki BD player (wanted a region free one), Nintendo Wii and a Roku HD.

Upgrade path besides the new TV:

- Get a HTM-200 as Center (need a slim one)
    - Go separate with more power, for example Basx or Emersa pre/pro + amp from Emotiva.
    - Once I have more power at hand, buy a pair of Sierra Luna as my mains and move the 340s to Surround duty
    - New 4k Roku
    - Oppo 4k player
    - New gaming console

With two kids in college and two cars needing replacement it will probably take me 5 to 10 years to do all of the above, but hey, you gotta plan to make it happen, right?
    I feel your pain. Fortunately, my 3 college kids all graduate this year. So many upgrades I want to do I'm not sure where to start!

2 x Sierra-2 in natural finish
    Rythmik 12" Direct Servo sub kit in custom built cabinet
    Marantz SR6003 AV Receiver for Preamp
    Adcom GFA-5500 2 channel amp (200 watts @8 Ohms/350 watts @4 Ohms)
    Cambridge Audio ID100 Digital dock for Apple devices
    Yamaha CDC-715 5-disc CD changer

Was thinking of adding a DAC or replacing the Marantz with a true 2 channel preamp, but a new hobby is eating up much of my budget.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables