Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What other equipment do you use with your Ascend speakers? What is your next upgrade?

Default Re: What other equipment do you use with your Ascend speakers? What is your next upgr

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Vizio E600i-B3 60" LED TV
    3 x Sierra-2 natural US cabinets
    2 x HTM-200SE surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP
    Sherwood/Newcastle R972 w/Trinnov (this will be my next upgrade..probably to an XMC-1...hard to justify now and lose Trinnov, but I need to prepare for 4K)
    ATI 1505 amp...this thing is a tank and sounds great
    Oppo BDP-83 universal disc player
    TiVo Bolt
    JRiver iD
    Apple TV 4th gen
    Sonos (not in use)
    How does Trinnov perform compared to something like Audyssey XT32?

Default Re: What other equipment do you use with your Ascend speakers? What is your next upgr

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    How does Trinnov perform compared to something like Audyssey XT32?
    Well, it isn't really an apples to apples comparison as Trinnov has some capabilities that Audessey doesn't. I also don't have direct comparison experience in my room...but everything that I have read points to Trinnov being better.

That said, you can't get Trinnov now without spending over $10K...so I am looking at Dirac.
    -curtis

Sierra 1 with satin cherry finish as LCR
    Boston Acoustics CR 7 bookshelf as surrounds (will likely replace with HTM200's eventually)
    SVS NSD SB12 sub
    Onkyo TX-NR717 AV Receiver
    LG 55" LED LH90 (I believe that's the model #)
    Sony blu-ray (don't remember model #, paid $70 for it a year ago. plays blu-rays fine for me)
    DISH for TV viewing

I'm new to Ascend as of July 2016. Will likely upgrade my receiver or sub next. The receiver only has Audyssey 2EQ, which sucks. Other than that the receiver is adequate. The sub is decent, but I'm in a room open to the kitchen and foyer. I need something with more output. Would like to upgrade TV after that. Picture is still really good for 1080P or less content, but want a bigger display. Sit about 9 feet away. After that, the surrounds. At some point I may upgrade my 1's to 2's.

Stereo only:
    Sierra Towers w/ RAAL tweeter (satin dark cherry)
    Emotiva A-300 power amplifier
    Apt-Holman pre-amplifier
    Technics SL1200 turntable (w/ Audio-Technica AT120eb cartridge)
    Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai DVD player (for DVD-As, SACDs, and CDs)
    Definitive Technology W Adapt (for audio streaming)
    Velodyne Servo F1200 subwoofer (probably soon to be replaced)
    Denon TU-850 tuner (still better than the digital tuners of today!)
    Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100

An interesting mix of today and yesterday!
    Last edited by davidwb; 01-18-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Talking Re: What other equipment do you use with your Ascend speakers? What is your next upgr

See my Signature.

Next upgrade...not sure. This 2.1 music room is very accurate and well, Musical!

Tried and returned the S2's () after comparing them to My S1 Nrt's in My listening room. Maybe I may spring for the Luna's with their RAAL and smaller, less reflective cabinet format (yielding wider vertical dispersion and more open midrange?)!

Dave, do you believe this might work well for me?

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

I'm running:

- 2x RAAL Tower for Mains
    - 2x Sierra-2s in old Gloss Expresso cabinets for surrounds (soon to be swapped into custom white cabinets)
    - 4x Pioneer Atmos modules (these need to be upgraded)
    - 2x Funk Audio 18.0c subwoofers
    - Denon x6300h
    - LG 65C6
    - OPPO 203
    - Xbox One S

I was thinking of adding a custom slim horizon next, but once I got the subs I've started thinking I may want to replace the towers with some sort of bookshelves just for the sake of space and aesthetics. I'm very currious to see what comes of that diamond tweeter Dave is playing with. What I'd really love is a speaker as capable in the upper registers without all the extra size and cabinet volume needed to handle the lower ones as the Funks can handle all of that with ease.

Also considering adding a JL CR-1 just to see how much better integrated they could be.

I have 2 Ascend Systems:

HT:
    Sierra-1 NrT's in Satin Expresso
    Paradigm CC-370v3 Center
    Paradigm CC-390v2 Dippole Surrounds
    Paradigm PS-1000v3 Subwoofer
    Marantz SR6004 Receiver (soon to be replaced by Emotiva MC-700)
    Emotiva UPA-5
    Vizio P65-C1
    Oppo 203 4K Universal Player
    Apple TV gen4/FireTV 4k

Wish List: Upgrade center to Sierra Horizon RAAL/sub to dual Rythmik FV15HP

Bedroom:
    Sierra-2 Satin Cherry
    Marantz TT-151S Turntable
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch
    PS Audio Trio C-100 Integrated Amplifier
    PS Audio GCPH Phono Preamplifier
    PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
    PS Audio GCHA Headphone Amplifier
    PS Audio UPC 200 Power Center
    Oppo 103D Universal Player
    Headphones: Denon AH-D5000, HiFiMAN HE400S
    Rythmik F12 Sub

Wish List: Room Treatments

Nice systems! Any reason why you went with the Paradigm center instead of a matching Sierra center? How do they mesh with each other?

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    Nice systems! Any reason why you went with the Paradigm center instead of a matching Sierra center? How do they mesh with each other?
    I replaced my tower speakers (Paradigm Monitor 9's) with the Sierra'1 because they were taking up too much space and I finally blew the midwoofer. The Paradigm's are 10+ years old. They actually blend pretty well but that's why I want to the upgrade the center to a Horizon RAAL, I love the clarity and precision of the RAAL and that's what's needed in dialog in movies.

All audio files are digitized. I don't believe in the snake-oil belief that FLAC sounds better than high quality MP3 even on the most expensive equipment or that high res 24-bit/192kHz files sound better than redbook CD. The most important factor in high quality audio is the original mastering. You cannot revive a 1980 recording with 24/192 treatment and expect it to sound better. Crap in, crap out. I use LAME encoder at V2 (APS) setting for transparent quality MP3 audio played on either Foobar or JRiver

Oppo UDP-203 plays any CD, SACD, or Blu-Ray audio, output via HDMI
    Marantz AV8802a is my Digital Audio Convertor
    Home made monoblock amplifiers with Anaview AMS1000 modules (600W RMS at 8ohms each channel)
    Close attention to acoustic treatments of the room (rug/carpet) and wall treatments.

I have absolutely no plans to upgrade. If I move into a larger space, I would be tempted to install high quality satellites at the ceiling for DTS:X or Dolby Atmos.
    Last edited by bkdc; 01-26-2017 at 10:13 AM.