Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What other equipment do you use with your Ascend speakers? What is your next upgrade?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What other equipment do you use with your Ascend speakers? What is your next upgrade?

Interested in what other associated equipment fellow Ascend owners use with their speakers. Is it a 2 channel setup? Home theater? Mix of both?

What electronics/subs/TV's do you use with them?

I can start.

I have Sierra 2 mains across the fro,nt 3 (am awaiting Luna's for the surrounds). Running them off just a receiver, Denon X4000 with a 60 inch LG plasma and a couple of Rythmik LV12R. Once I upgrade my surrounds my TV (to an OLED) and associated equipment to handle 4K (receiver, disc player), I honestly think I'd be set for a very long time. No Atmos for me unless my living situation changes.

What do your setups consist of?

Default Re: What other equipment do you use with your Ascend speakers? What is your next upgr

Towers and Horizon with RAAL across the front, HTM-200-SE's for surrounds, dual Rythmik F12 subs. Awe-inspring speakers, for sure. Speakers amped with an Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, so I have way more power than I'll ever need, which is nice.

I currently have a Marantz AV7701 for a processor, but I have grown to really hate it. I ordered an Emotiva XMC-1 this weekend, since they are on sale and the HDMI 1.4b versions are on closeout at $1699. I don't plan on getting 4k any time soon so I jumped on the 1.4b version.

The AV7701 was great at first, when I was only using it with my PS4 for the most part, but I'm in a new room and using a computer and other devices, and I'm having a lot of problems. Apparently in 2014 they developed a bug with Netflix's version of Dolby Digital Plus, they released a patch for it a few months later, but it doesn't work!!! I get all sorts of glitches/popping/chriping/scratching when watching Netflix. I have to use my old PS3 and run it in LPCM. It also rarely connects to my network. I watch a ton of Netflix and I'd rather have my processor do the decoding instead of HAVING to use a device that can (my Nvidia Shield doesn't do any decoding) so it's a real POS. I'm going to move it to a stereo system downstairs, because it works just fine in stereo. Never going to buy a Marantz product again. If you can't fix decoding in TWO YEARS, why would I buy your product?

Also just bought a BenQ HT2150ST projector and Silver Ticket 100" fixed frame screen. Love both of them. Insanely detailed picture with fantastic depth of color. I only sit 8 feet from it and it's just a joy. Really can't see the need for 4K or HDR with how great this looks. I can't even stream 4K with my connection, so I'm really happy buying all of the 1080p and HDMI 1.4b stuff that are at the best prices they've ever been at right now.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Default Re: What other equipment do you use with your Ascend speakers? What is your next upgr

I had the exact same issue with Dolby Digital on Netflix with my X4000 (no surprise I guess, since Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company), but luckily, a firmware update fixed the chirping from the surrounds. 4K projectors seem pretty expensive, but if there's any screen where 4K would be noticeable, it'd be a 100" screen. Nice setup - are you going to get Lunas for surrounds too? Ribbons all the way around seem pretty enticing.

I ordered a pair of CMT-340 last week as my new LR speakers, do I qualify for this thread? They will be happily driven by an Emotiva Fusion 8100. It is a mixed music/HT system, 5.1 with a Rythmik L12 taking care of the low end.

I am not as finicky with HT as I am with 2-ch music, so the rest of the speakers are an odd collection of an Audiosource MTM as Central speaker and a couple of 3-way Altec Lansing as Surrounds.

I am still holding onto an old Vizio 42" LCD, I want to jump straight to a 4k OLED in the 50" range once prices gets little lower. I also have a Seiki BD player (wanted a region free one), Nintendo Wii and a Roku HD.

Upgrade path besides the new TV:

- Get a HTM-200 as Center (need a slim one)
    - Go separate with more power, for example Basx or Emersa pre/pro + amp from Emotiva.
    - Once I have more power at hand, buy a pair of Sierra Luna as my mains and move the 340s to Surround duty
    - New 4k Roku
    - Oppo 4k player
    - New gaming console

With two kids in college and two cars needing replacement it will probably take me 5 to 10 years to do all of the above, but hey, you gotta plan to make it happen, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    I ordered a pair of CMT-340 last week as my new LR speakers, do I qualify for this thread? They will be happily driven by an Emotiva Fusion 8100. It is a mixed music/HT system, 5.1 with a Rythmik L12 taking care of the low end.

I am not as finicky with HT as I am with 2-ch music, so the rest of the speakers are an odd collection of an Audiosource MTM as Central speaker and a couple of 3-way Altec Lansing as Surrounds.

I am still holding onto an old Vizio 42" LCD, I want to jump straight to a 4k OLED in the 50" range once prices gets little lower. I also have a Seiki BD player (wanted a region free one), Nintendo Wii and a Roku HD.

- Go separate with more power, for example Basx or Emersa pre/pro + amp from Emotiva.
    - Once I have more power at hand, buy a pair of Sierra Luna as my mains and move the 340s to Surround duty
    - New 4k Roku
    - Oppo 4k player
    - New gaming console

With two kids in college and two cars needing replacement it will probably take me 5 to 10 years to do all of the above, but hey, you gotta plan to make it happen, right?
    It's not always about the destination but the journey a part of me feels like it might be bittersweet reaching my end game. Part of the fun is researching, auditioning, and tinkering.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post

- New 4k Roku
    - Oppo 4k player
    - New gaming console

I feel your pain. Fortunately, my 3 college kids all graduate this year. So many upgrades I want to do I'm not sure where to start!

2 x Sierra-2 in natural finish
    Rythmik 12" Direct Servo sub kit in custom built cabinet
    Marantz SR6003 AV Receiver for Preamp
    Adcom GFA-5500 2 channel amp (200 watts @8 Ohms/350 watts @4 Ohms)
    Cambridge Audio ID100 Digital dock for Apple devices
    Yamaha CDC-715 5-disc CD changer

Was thinking of adding a DAC or replacing the Marantz with a true 2 channel preamp, but a new hobby is eating up much of my budget.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I have the Sierra 2's for the front left and right. Horizon is my center and HTM 200 SE as surrounds. (My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I told her I wanted the Lunas to replace the 200SEs). Subwoofer is a LV12R

Anthem MRX 510 receiver, OPPO 103D blue ray player, Epson 6040UB projector, and a Kenwood CD 2260M 100 disc CD player.

I would say it is 50/50 music and movies. Last March, my wife retired early to be a stay at home grandma for our first granddaughter Aonesty Elizabeth. ( We call her Aony ). When I was building our theater room, I thought I was building it for me and my wife. Now that Aony is here, I realize I built it for her. Let me tell you, there is nothing better than sitting in Aony's theater room watching Elana of Avalor with her. To see the joy on her face every time we watch movies with her is something special.

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    I had the exact same issue with Dolby Digital on Netflix with my X4000 (no surprise I guess, since Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company), but luckily, a firmware update fixed the chirping from the surrounds. 4K projectors seem pretty expensive, but if there's any screen where 4K would be noticeable, it'd be a 100" screen. Nice setup - are you going to get Lunas for surrounds too? Ribbons all the way around seem pretty enticing.
    There's athread at AVS forums about this issue, and some people are still having it while others got fixed. It's pretty strange, and really frustrating that the AV7701 is still afflicted.

Going with a 4k projector would cost me at least triple over what I have now, so I just wasn't prepared to spend that much on a barely perceptible improvement. HDR is the real upgrade as people say, and there's so little support for it anyway, that was another factor. I guess a screen this big would be the way to test it.

I really do want to get the Lunas for surround, but I've spent so much this year I'll probably have to hold off =( =( =(
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

I have a pair of CBM-170's for my LR, Athena AS-C1 center and Athena Micra surrounds with a Rhythmik F12 doing the low end work. They are powered by a Pioneer Elite SC-65. For devices, I have:
    - My iMac going into one of the optical ports for my iTunes library and TIDAL streaming.
    - 4th gen Apple TV.
    - Oppo BDP 93 for Blu ray and CDs
    - U-turn Audio TT with both the Schiit Mani and U-turns Pluto Preamps (I switch between the two depending on
    how I feel)
    - TV is a Vizio 47" 1080P TV from 5 years ago
    - All cables are from Blue Jeans Cables

Future upgrades in the next year or so, are in the air. Trying to figure out if I want to go with the "standard" towers or the Sierra 2s for my mains since my wife and I listen to music 85% of the time on the stereo. Center will be dependent upon the Sierra Luna Center design and specs and all that. The CBMs would then move to surround duty.

Who knows, I may go Sierra Luna Center (if in MTM configuration) for LCR!

Lastly, I will add another F12...
    Last edited by dtsequoia; 01-17-2017 at 02:00 PM.
    -Ben