Thread: Running Sierra 2 grill free

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Running Sierra 2 grill free

Hellos

I recently took the grills off from my Sierra 2 and been loving the look that way

But it struck me as a concern when I realized the tweeter and woofer are now exposed; Mainly because the speakers are somewhat near to kitchen, and the smoke from kitchen can sometime fill the area

I didn't noticed anything bad happen so far, but concerned for the long term affects it might have.

Should I put the grills back on ?

Default Re: Running Sierra 2 grill free

If there are fumes/smoke/vapor in the area, grilles aren't going to do anything to protect them, they just protect from minor physical stuff. It shouldn't matter either way. I always prefer to leave the grilles off.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by maheeinfy View Post
    Hellos

I recently took the grills off from my Sierra 2 and been loving the look that way

But it struck me as a concern when I realized the tweeter and woofer are now exposed; Mainly because the speakers are somewhat near to kitchen, and the smoke from kitchen can sometime fill the area

I didn't noticed anything bad happen so far, but concerned for the long term affects it might have.

Should I put the grills back on ?
    No concerns at all - the grilles really only protect from prying fingers and similar. I would say about 1/2 of our customers prefer to leave the grilles off.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    If there are fumes/smoke/vapor in the area, grilles aren't going to do anything to protect them, they just protect from minor physical stuff. It shouldn't matter either way. I always prefer to leave the grilles off.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    No concerns at all - the grilles really only protect from prying fingers and similar. I would say about 1/2 of our customers prefer to leave the grilles off.
    Thank you Dave.
    I guess I was mainly concerned about the ribbon tweeter which is so thin, being exposed occasionally to smoke/vapor. But since no speaker in the world comes with a protective cover for smoke etc, its probably silly to be concerned about such things..

This is kind of funny, but the thing that made me paranoid about taking off the grills was the tweeter protectors that came on the new speakers. I was surprised how strong the magnets were in the ribbons and figured that could attract metal particles. I'm in NYC, who knows what's in the air. LOL.

I'm an engineer - its no surprise to me magnets are in speakers :-) Its just that they were a lot stronger than I've ever noticed other tweeters being and the ribbon is fairly exposed unlike a traditional cone speaker where the magnets are safe inside the cabinet... I've only had my S2's for a few months and am just protective of them!

I suppose I should just take the grills off and get it over with!