Thread: 2 questions regarding installation details of HTM-200 SE as ceiling mount Atmos

Default 2 questions regarding installation details of HTM-200 SE as ceiling mount Atmos

Hey all,

Building a new theater. Planning on on-ceiling or in-ceiling for Atmos (5.1.4). Sounds like the HTM-200 SE are a good choice (no port + large dispersion). Running Sierra Towers (NrT) and Horizon center, CBM-170SE for L/R surround.

Question 1)
    Which way to rotationally orient the speakers? Like mains or centers? My assumption is to put the axis with better high angle dispersion characteristics so it's the "long" way from the primary listening position (PMP). The longer distance is front/back of the PMP.

The angle to the PMP is about 45 degrees along the front/back axis and about 40 degrees side to side (not a large difference, I know).

The speaker specifications and measurements do not make it clear to me which axis has better off-axis performance though. I assume there is a difference due to the advice to lay it on its side for center channel use?

Here's a diagram to help describe the proposed setup. The dashed lines are to show the relative spacing.

how to orient HTM200SE as ATMOS.png

Question 2) On ceiling or in-ceiling? I would prefer the aesthetics of in-ceiling, but I am not sure of performance at those angles (about 45 and 40 degrees). On-ceiling would allow me to angle the speaker ~10 degrees. That said, since these are just Atmos speakers, I expect directionality is not that important.

I would build a backer box for in-ceiling (mostly for sound containment in the room - doing double drywall+green glue, decoupling, etc.).

Ceiling height is 8'.

Thanks all!
    Last edited by NegativeEntropy; 01-08-2017 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Fix title (too many characters)

Default Re: 2 questions regarding installation details of HTM-200 SE as ceiling mount Atmos

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEntropy View Post
    Hey all,

Building a new theater. Planning on on-ceiling or in-ceiling for Atmos (5.1.4). Sounds like the HTM-200 SE are a good choice (no port + large dispersion). Running Sierra Towers (NrT) and Horizon center, CBM-170SE for L/R surround.

Question 1)
    Which way to rotationally orient the speakers? Like mains or centers? My assumption is to put the axis with better high angle dispersion characteristics so it's the "long" way from the primary listening position (PMP). The longer distance is front/back of the PMP.
    My thoughts would be to mount the speakers on the ceiling rather than in it, and angle them towards the listeners. I would put them sideways (like a center) to get them closer to the ceiling. Maybe a mount like this? http://a.co/6h0L2XU
    Nate

Default Re: 2 questions regarding installation details of HTM-200 SE as ceiling mount Atmos

Here is a thread with some good information http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...00-wall-mounts
    Nate