Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Master Streaming is here! More on the way!

Default Re: Master Streaming is here! More on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
    OK I just discovered that you have to make some setting changes that were not available before to get real 96khz/24bit. You have to go to TIDAL/Settings and make a change on the audio interface as follow:

Attachment 1409

Attachment 1410
    Thanks Enrico. I was just sending it out by setting my output to 96khz/24bit via toslink in audio MIDI setup. Setting it to exclusive (as you have shown) and looking at the audio input on my receiver; exclusive mode does in fact change the output from my iMac based on the media being listened to. The Beach House album I was listening to was at 88.2khz, then I switched to M83 Junk and that is showing 96Khz.
    -Ben

It's sort of annoying that they don't actually tell you which version of the album is the master version. Usually the second, but seem to need to hit play to confirm. On my system, it's sort of a mute point though, both sound similar and niether Hifi nor master sounds as clean as a cd from my old onkyo CD player. Probably some combination of streaming, conversions and the likely cheap soundboard in my laptop. I think it is good though, if there is a "better" than cd streaming option, maybe it will at least pressure other providers to go lossless. Spotify sounds like junk compared to tidal, but tidal is expensive, so would be nice to have another option....

Quote Originally Posted by MJP View Post
    It's sort of annoying that they don't actually tell you which version of the album is the master version. Usually the second, but seem to need to hit play to confirm. On my system, it's sort of a mute point though, both sound similar and niether Hifi nor master sounds as clean as a cd from my old onkyo CD player. Probably some combination of streaming, conversions and the likely cheap soundboard in my laptop. I think it is good though, if there is a "better" than cd streaming option, maybe it will at least pressure other providers to go lossless. Spotify sounds like junk compared to tidal, but tidal is expensive, so would be nice to have another option....
    I have two daughters in college so I take advantage of the student discount so I pay $9.99 for TIDAL HiFi. I agree that for $20 is expensive, though.
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

Here is a list of MQA titles please add and please correct anything that is wrong. I hear a quite substantial difference in MQA. Also if you don't have a MQA dac let the software unfold the master. Meaning do not turn MQA passthrough this allows software to do unfolding then you should hear a difference it's also based on quality of recording you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. . When you have a MQA dac then set to passthrough so dac unfolds.
    Enjoy https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...mTAA/htmlview#
    Last edited by Wadia171i; 01-25-2017 at 11:10 PM.

24-bit/96kHz does not sound any better than 16-bit/44.1kHz to most human ears even with the most expensive equipment. If you don't believe it, perform an A/B test after you resample your 24-bit 192kHz high res files to 16/44.1 and see if you don't score 50:50.

24-bit 96/kHz or 24-bit/192kHz does allow a lot more "headroom" to perform the mastering and mixing.

The most important factor in audio quality of the source material is the original recording and mastering. This involves exquisite attention to detail of mic placement, room acoustics, and mastering. Nothing will revive a pop-rock album that has been overprocessed and had the natural-sounding life squeezed out of it through mixing and processing.

Almost any modern redbook CD audio file from a studio that cares about sound quality (Sonos Luminus, Stockfisch records, etc) will sound infinitely better than a mainstream pop song in hi-res audio.
    Last edited by bkdc; 01-26-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am too curious. Will some recording tools like Audacity, or so called Audfree Tidal Converter be able to save the Master quality of a song?
    Last edited by kelseyj; 10-11-2020 at 06:08 PM.