Thread: Sierra 1 center

Default Sierra 1 center

Most centers have an MTM or similar configuration as does the CMT340. The Sierra 1 does not. I understand the tweeter is rotated but is this configuration a compromise of sorts?

Default Re: Sierra 1 center

Quote Originally Posted by moe53 View Post
    Most centers have an MTM or similar configuration as does the CMT340. The Sierra 1 does not. I understand the tweeter is rotated but is this configuration a compromise of sorts?
    Generally speaking, horizontally oriented MTM speakers are actually more of a compromise due to off-axis wave interference. The compromise in the case of a horizontally positioned Sierra-1 is that of looks, as the majority of consumers expect symmetry for a center channel - thus the proliferation of MTM centers.

Here is a good read: http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...peaker-designs

With our 340 center, we greatly reduce horizontal off-axis wave interference by implementing several features but I must say that the Sierra-1 center, even with a single woofer, will outperform the 340 center when it comes to off-axis clarity.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: Sierra 1 center

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Generally speaking, horizontally oriented MTM speakers are actually more of a compromise due to off-axis wave interference. The compromise in the case of a horizontally positioned Sierra-1 is that of looks, as the majority of consumers expect symmetry for a center channel - thus the proliferation of MTM centers.

Here is a good read: http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...peaker-designs

With our 340 center, we greatly reduce horizontal off-axis wave interference by implementing several features but I must say that the Sierra-1 center, even with a single woofer, will outperform the 340 center when it comes to off-axis clarity.
    The results of that study are pretty crazy and certainly go against the paradigm regarding how a center channel speaker should be oriented. I can see why you designed the Sierra Horizon with the driver orientation in the fashion it does.
    -Ben