Thread: Ascend vs other High Efficiency speakers for Home Theater

Default Ascend vs other High Efficiency speakers for Home Theater

Hi

It never occurred to me till now but once I got the idea, I am completely restless😀. I got this idea to replace my Bowers Wilkins CM9, CMC 2 speaker set up in my Home Theater with some highly dynamic high efficiency speakers like, JTR or Danleys ( Hearing a lot about their pricey SH50s). But it just occurred to me as to why not I try the CMT 340s first as anyway I don't listen at reference levels but can go to a max of -10 db.

From what ever I read here on the forums, CMT 340 are touted to be the best value in ascend line up and for the price they are being sold it makes it a very easy decision.

Just wondering if any one ever heard any of the usual horn based speaker favorites out there and can tell me how the CMTs compare to them?. How good are they for 2.1 music for that occasional music listening sessions?

Thanks
    Ron

Default Re: Ascend vs other High Efficiency speakers for Home Theater

How big is your room? How far from the speakers is the listening position?

Some people love high dynamics...and it is understandable why. But there are tradeoffs such as transient response and detail. To some, they can't hear it, so they don't care, others just don't care.

The CMT-340SE can play loud, they are dynamic (I think all Ascend speakers are pretty dynamic compared to their competition)...louder than I would ever need. Horn based tweeters have certain characteristics, as do any other type of tweeter. To me, horn based tweeters don't sound natural until you get into some big dollars.

The 340 gets overlooked more so than any other Ascend speaker, because of its price.
    Last edited by curtis; 12-24-2016 at 09:50 AM.
    -curtis

Hi Curtis

My current basement room is 21 * 14 * 8 feet. I sit about 11 feet from the speakers. The more I think, the more it is making sense at least try CMTs as sub woofers really carry more weight in a HT set up and as long as the speakers handle the mids and highs with distortion free dynamics I should be covered.

Also I can still use these CMTs in a modern family room with tall two storey ceilings and open area to the kitchen etc...once I move to a single family home. Is there any one in the forum who use CMTs in such a set up? I only see people buying houses close to million dollars and listening to soundbars with TVs on the fireplace. LOL.

Pinch me before I miss the sale on them ;-).

Thanks

My room is 18x14x8 and after much thinking I have decided too to give the 340 a try as L/R main speakers. Not pulled the trigger yet as I am still negotiating with my very tolerant wife a rearranging of the bookshelves where the speaker would go :-)

If I am unsuccessfull my fall back plan is the CBM-170.

I have an Emotiva Fusion 8100 AVR and a Rythmik L12 sealed sub. While the 8100 is beefier than most AVR in his category, it is not a power monster. It can only benefit from being paired with high efficiency speakers such as the CMT-340 or CBM-170.