Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Integrated Amp Recommendations for Sierra-2

Default Re: Integrated Amp Recommendations for Sierra-2

Quote Originally Posted by Menosavvy View Post
    That isn't always the case. I am using an Oppo 203 UHD universal player with the Aria just fine.

I use an analog interconnect pair of cables going from the Oppo to the ARIA. HDMI from the Oppo to my TV. I have Clearaudio concept turntable that has a MM cartridge the ARIA has the phono stage for it.
    I personally don't want multi channels

It's just that external DAC's are not ALWAYS needed, and certainly not a "need" when considering this outstanding integrated.

My 2 cents
    His point still stands. You are using the Oppo as an Outboard DAC. Not very many blu-ray players come with Analog outputs these days. He's just saying to make sure there is something outputting analog to the amp.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

I get your point, but any quality player ( I think Oppo are the most musical) that has a quality internal DAC should suffice.

I was only stating that one doesn't need to always have an external DAC , and its not necessary with this amp depending on how it is set up and with what other components. Separately, I would contend the Oppo 203 is not your average disc reader as you put it either. Just sayin ��

Again, I believe that anyone looking at this amp probably has a quality DVD player that has an onboard DAC that should play just fine, and not REQUIRE the cost of an external DAC when considering this amp.

No worries
    Last edited by Menosavvy; 02-03-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Ah, yes.....onboard DACs will work for content played through that device (Oppo player, etc.), but if you play streamed content from Tidal or similar you would want a good DAC to decode that before sending to the Aria, no? All my music listening at this point is basically TIDAL Hi-Fi decoded by the internal DACs of my Marantz AVR.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I surrender! LOL

Yes, in cases like this you would need one. I have never used my USB ports on the back of my OPPO for such from hdtracks.com etc connected to my laptop, so I cannot comment. My other Blu ray players did not have such.

Either way..... This Aria amp is still VERY much worth an audition!!! That I stand by. This company makes the real deal and at a great price and sounds phenomenal with my Sierra 2's!
    Last edited by Menosavvy; 02-03-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Hi. You might also want to take a look into the following:
    Cambridge Audio CXA60
    Rega Brio
    Emotiva TA-100
    Sony TAA1ES

If you intend to add Sub(s) into your setup you might want to consider an integrated amplifier with the capability of actively crossing over to a sub, so as not to waste its limited power on amplifying the lower frequencies which can not be reproduced by your speakers (as I would with or without subs):
    Bluesound Powernode 2
    Elac Element EA101EQ-G
    NAD D 7050

Best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Menosavvy View Post
    I surrender! LOL

This Aria amp is still VERY much worth an audition!!! That I stand by. This company makes the real deal and at a great price and sounds phenomenal with my Sierra 2's!
    I am hunting around for a new amp for my Sierra Raal Towers. Have been using a Hegel H80 but it's just not working - flat soundstage and a little lifeless. I tried a Rega Elex-R last night and that was definitely a step in the right direction.

So wondering what other amps you have tried with your Sierra 2's in comparison to the Belles Aria? And how would you describe the soundstage/space/air of the Aria?

Thanks!

You tried a Rega Elex-R with your Sierra towers? Did you make sure to match levels so that you played it at the precise same levels you played the Hegel?

I've never found a technical explanation for how one properly functioning amp can have a different soundstage from another properly functioning amp. It's usually instead due to one of two things: 1)unmatched levels 2)listener subconscious affecting what the brain 'thinks' it's hearing.

Level matched, unsighted comparisons will probably show that what seem to be differences in soundstage between two amps actually disappear when those variables are controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    You tried a Rega Elex-R with your Sierra towers? Did you make sure to match levels so that you played it at the precise same levels you played the Hegel?

I've never found a technical explanation for how one properly functioning amp can have a different soundstage from another properly functioning amp. It's usually instead due to one of two things: 1)unmatched levels 2)listener subconscious affecting what the brain 'thinks' it's hearing.

Level matched, unsighted comparisons will probably show that what seem to be differences in soundstage between two amps actually disappear when those variables are controlled.
    I have also been of the school that all good amps will sound the same if they aren't being overdriven. But I also know that amps do have feedback systems and such that might affect the sound. Hegels in particular like to advertise their insane damping numbers - so they are doing something to try and control this, other than just plain and pure amplification of the signal.

I did not do level matching between the two amps and I fully understand that that can make all the difference. But I don't have the things necessary to quickly swap two amps in and out of a chain quickly enough to make useful A-B judgments.
    I played the Rega at varying volumes and A-B'ed it against Kef LS50 Wireless - which I am using as my reference for a number of dimensions. And likewise ran the Hegel against the same reference. I am absolutely positive that there was a difference compared to the Hegel. Could it be expectation bias? Can't rule it out of course. I will try some other amps and see what else comes about ...
    Last edited by nquery; 10-17-2017 at 05:41 PM.

I wouldn't call the feedback in an amp a 'feedback system.' Maybe that's just semantics.

In any case, Hegel is just like most other audio manufacturers - they'll brag about some specific parametric or other and claim *that* is what makes their amp special. And many will believe it.

Damping factor is generally a non-issue with solid state a/b amps. They're all high enough that it doesn't matter. Certainly so with a speaker like the Sierra that doesn't have ridiculously low dips in its impedance. Damping factor can be an issue with tube amps and class d amps, where the output impedance is often much higher.

Keep in mind that when you're testing amps sighted and non-level matched, you're not really just testing amps - you yourself are now an uncontrolled variable in the test. You're testing yourself and your brain as much as you're testing the amps.

One big difference in amps that is seldom discussed is how the amp handles clipping. It is possible that you might be reaching the power limits of your Hegel such that it is starting to clip or that some form of compression is kicking in... Your Hegel also has quite a bit of digital signal processing - who knows what it is doing to the original source material....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com