Thread: Sierra-2 Center Questions & Impressions

Default Sierra-2 Center Questions & Impressions

Hello everyone, I've been a longtime lurker on these forums and have especially enjoyed reading the development threads about the Sierra Towers and later the Sierra-2. Great stuff! I particularly love all the knowledgable and agreeable discussions that take place here on a regular basis and how Dave takes the time share his design principals/goals, etc.

Anyhow, I have a question about the Sierra-2 Center. Does the grill cover the entire front of the speaker? I haven't really seen any Sierra-2 Center pictures on the site or the forums. On the Sierra-1 Center, the grill covers the full length of the speaker, so I'd assume the same is true for the Sierra-2 Center, but I thought I'd ask.

Also, I haven't seen a lot of feedback on the Sierra-2 Center in general, so I'd love to hear any impressions of Sierra-2 Center from people who own them. I'm well aware that ultimate center channel is typically 3 identical LCR speakers, but for my room constraints a center configuration is a necessary compromise. So I'm curious how the Sierra-2 Center is working out people in their rooms. Are there any measurable differences in frequency response or vertical/horizontal dispersion characteristics from the Sierra-2 Center as compared to the Sierra-2? I'd imagine there are some measurable differences, but how tangible would they be in most placement scenarios?

Thanks!

Default Re: Sierra-2 Center Questions & Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by snarked View Post
    Hello everyone, I've been a longtime lurker on these forums and have especially enjoyed reading the development threads about the Sierra Towers and later the Sierra-2. Great stuff! I particularly love all the knowledgable and agreeable discussions that take place here on a regular basis and how Dave takes the time share his design principals/goals, etc.

Anyhow, I have a question about the Sierra-2 Center. Does the grill cover the entire front of the speaker? I haven't really seen any Sierra-2 Center pictures on the site or the forums. On the Sierra-1 Center, the grill covers the full length of the speaker, so I'd assume the same is true for the Sierra-2 Center, but I thought I'd ask.

Also, I haven't seen a lot of feedback on the Sierra-2 Center in general, so I'd love to hear any impressions of Sierra-2 Center from people who own them. I'm well aware that ultimate center channel is typically 3 identical LCR speakers, but for my room constraints a center configuration is a necessary compromise. So I'm curious how the Sierra-2 Center is working out people in their rooms. Are there any measurable differences in frequency response or vertical/horizontal dispersion characteristics from the Sierra-2 Center as compared to the Sierra-2? I'd imagine there are some measurable differences, but how tangible would they be in most placement scenarios?

Thanks!
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for your nice comments

To answer your first question, yes -- we include a full length grille with all Sierra-2 (and Sierra-1) centers. If it is your intention to use the Sierra-2 as a vertical center, we would include the 3/4 grille -- you just need to let us know.

Sierra-2 center and standard Sierra-2 are identical speakers. We rotate the ribbon 90 degrees if you plan on using the speaker positioned horizontally. In either configuration, it is a completely seamless blend with left/right Sierra-2.

Thanks again!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Just to confirm - if I wanted to use a regular Sierra-2 in a horizontal instead of vertical position, is the RAAL tweeter user-rotatable 90 degrees or would it have to be sent in for modification?

You can definitely do it yourself if you're handy with tools. It's not too difficult.

I had my Sierra 2 center set up vertically so not quite the same.

But it makes for a hell of a center. Very underrated in that capacity.

I have 3 S2's with one configured as a center w the tweeter rotated 90degrees. I leave the speaker grill on just because it gets dusty in the cabinet - it doesn't sound any diff with it off. And I have the speaker inside a salamander type cabinet that has a steel grill.

I like the whole setup. Perfect integration btween the Center and LR. I would have gotten a Horizon if I had the room. But it was just too large for my cabinet. That said there isn't really anything I feel I'm lacking but in general my hearing's kind of going and dialog clarity is a day to day struggle sometimes!

Probably I'll just improve my receiver just so I have a little better EQ options.

Quote Originally Posted by Mose Harper View Post
    I had my Sierra 2 center set up vertically so not quite the same.

But it makes for a hell of a center. Very underrated in that capacity.
    I completely agree with this. Most consumers expect to see a dual woofer configuration (MTM) so they rule out this speaker as a center. For most center channels, this configuration (MTM) actually compromises performance. The Sierra-2 is indeed a fantastic center channel - whether used vertically or horizontally...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Can the tweeter be on either side when using horizontally or does it make a difference?

I ask because In my setup there's a bar behind where my center sits and the rear port may be blocked depending on which side the tweeter is on.

doesn't seem to matter. I put the tweeter on my side because it's mine!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcrowing View Post
    Can the tweeter be on either side when using horizontally or does it make a difference?
    Makes no difference which side
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com