Thread: Horizon NrT or RAAL with Sierra 1 NrT

Default Horizon NrT or RAAL with Sierra 1 NrT

I've had the Sierra 1 NrT's for 3 years and finally pulled the plug and replaced them with the Sierra-2's for my dedicated 2.1 channel bedroom system. Sold my towers and am using the Sierra 1's as mains for my 5.1 HT living room system. Current center is a 10 year old paradigm monitor cc-390. I'm deciding whether I should get a matching NrT Horizon or go with the quicker clearer tweeter in the RAAL for HT. Living room system is 70/30 HT/music composed of a marantz SR6004 AVR (soon to be emotiva MC700 SSP) powered by an emotiva UPA-5. Paradigm Monitor ADP-370's are the surrounds, and Paradigm seIsmic 12. Center is placed on the floor with some Auralex pads to direct the center ear level about 10 ft from listening position. Room is 15 ft long by 30 ft wide with 13 ft ceilings (combo living/kitchen) with the living room taking up half that space. So there's some decent space to fill and the current center is having a hard to filling it.

BTW Dave, loved the Sierra-1 NrT's and I didn't think the Sierra-2's could be that much better but the midbass in the new curv driver paired with the RAAL tweeter is I incredible! Drums and snares that weren't as pronounced before are now articulate and deep and the speed and accuracy of the RAAL completes the high end. I complement them with a rythmik 12 inch sealed sub and I can't imagine a better 2 channel at this price point without spending 10x more to get something that is as accurate and more importantly enjoyable. Driven by a PS Audio Trio c-100 integrated. Marantz TT-151S TT to a PS Audio GCPH Phono and PS Audio Digital Link III Dac connected to a Squeezbox Touch for sources. I can't wait to add the Luna's to a nearfield computer desktop system.
    Last edited by crazycuz2k; 12-23-2016 at 06:07 AM.

Default Re: Horizon NrT or RAAL with Sierra 1 NrT

I think either would work great. The price and form factor of the Sierra-2 could be big advantages. I think the higher you can get the center off of the floor, the better. So the Sierra-2 may be a little better in that regards.
    Nate

Unfortunately the floor is the best place to put them. It sits in front on my fireplace and with the TV mounted over the mantle which is already 3-4 feet above eye level. I don't want to mount it above that. One of the reasons I want the horizon (other than the bigger drivers) is the bigger cabinet so it's easily identifiable. I'll move it for parties but other than that is a fixture in front of the fireplace. (And no I haven't turned on the fireplace in 3 years)

Quote Originally Posted by crazycuz2k View Post
    I've had the Sierra 1 NrT's for 3 years and finally pulled the plug and replaced them with the Sierra-2's for my dedicated 2.1 channel bedroom system. Sold my towers and am using the Sierra 1's as mains for my 5.1 HT living room system. Current center is a 10 year old paradigm monitor cc-390. I'm deciding whether I should get a matching NrT Horizon or go with the quicker clearer tweeter in the RAAL for HT. Living room system is 70/30 HT/music composed of a marantz SR6004 AVR (soon to be emotiva MC700 SSP) powered by an emotiva UPA-5. Paradigm Monitor ADP-370's are the surrounds, and Paradigm seIsmic 12. Center is placed on the floor with some Auralex pads to direct the center ear level about 10 ft from listening position. Room is 15 ft long by 30 ft wide with 13 ft ceilings (combo living/kitchen) with the living room taking up half that space. So there's some decent space to fill and the current center is having a hard to filling it.

BTW Dave, loved the Sierra-1 NrT's and I didn't think the Sierra-2's could be that much better but the midbass in the new curv driver paired with the RAAL tweeter is I incredible! Drums and snares that weren't as pronounced before are now articulate and deep and the speed and accuracy of the RAAL completes the high end. I complement them with a rythmik 12 inch sealed sub and I can't imagine a better 2 channel at this price point without spending 10x more to get something that is as accurate and more importantly enjoyable. Driven by a PS Audio Trio c-100 integrated. Marantz TT-151S TT to a PS Audio GCPH Phono and PS Audio Digital Link III Dac connected to a Squeezbox Touch for sources. I can't wait to add the Luna's to a nearfield computer desktop system.
    Happy to hear that you are enjoying the Sierra-2! I am going to move this thread to our reviews section

I definitely recommend going with the Ribbon Horizon
    Last edited by davef; 01-10-2017 at 04:23 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com