Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Sierra 1"s with NRT Center?

Default Mixing Sierra 1"s with NRT Center?

Hi all, looking for some advice. I'm very close to ordering Sierra 1's for LCR. I can't afford the NRT upgrade on all three so was wondering if you had any thoughts on doing an NRT center with non NRT left and rights? Having heard neither I'm hoping, for music, the standard model would sound wonderful, but I'm worried my 58 year old ears might enjoy the greater clarity of a NRT center for movies. 50/50 movies/music. Just ordered the Oppo 203 and am jumping into sacd/dvd-a for the first time. Symphony, big band, classic rock etc., most in multi channel. Will the different tweeters mess up the sound for music? Thanks

Dan
    Last edited by doctors11; 12-13-2016 at 08:29 AM.

Default Re: Mixing Sierra 1"s with NRT Center?

The problems that having different tweeters can create is not worth the trouble, IMO. I think it is much more satisfying to have everything match perfectly, rather than have one speaker sounding different/better than the others. It can be distracting. I'd stick with the same tweeters all around. Even the tweeter on the HTM 200 SE is pretty awesome and is leagues ahead of any tweeter I've heard from Klipsch, JBL, and those kinds of speaker companies.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Thanks Sludge. I had a feeling that would be the case. Anyone out there using the standard Sierra 1 center? Currently I've got a Def Tech Pro Center 1000. Can I assume I'll hear a nice improvement with the Sierra?

That's pretty subjective. I would say yes, and in anycase, definitely different.
    -curtis

Thanks Curtis. I'm also considering waiting for the Luna center. Do you think it will be available with the standard Sierra tweeter? Those should blend well...no? I wonder how long until those will be available...

Quote Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
    Thanks Curtis. I'm also considering waiting for the Luna center. Do you think it will be available with the standard Sierra tweeter? Those should blend well...no? I wonder how long until those will be available...
    Did Dave say he is even going to produce a Luna center?
    Why not a Sierra-1 as a center? It is excellent.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Did Dave say he is even going to produce a Luna center?
    Why not a Sierra-1 as a center? It is excellent.
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...5489#post55489

Post 450
    -Ben

Sierra 1 center is doable but I'd have to raise our TV a couple of inches. It's a Samsung plasma with an awkward stand that would need a couple of blocks to make it above the height of the Sierra. Any guesses how the Luna center's sound would compare with the Sierra's if both had the same tweeter? ie, would the Luna blend well as a center to LR Sierra's?
    Last edited by doctors11; 12-15-2016 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
    Sierra 1 center is doable but I'd have to raise our TV a couple of inches. It's a Samsung plasma with an awkward stand that would need a couple of blocks to make it above the height of the Sierra. Any guesses how the Luna center's sound would compare with the Sierra's if both had the same tweeter? ie, would the Luna blend well as a center to LR Sierra's?
    I would imagine they would sound somewhat similar, but that is up to Dave. On top of that, the use of the one of the softdome tweeters seems to be a lower priority than the RAAL...so you are going to be waiting a while. Dave doesn't take shortcuts to getting something into production.
    -curtis

...and we're all glad he doesn't. So I guess I'm left with two choices. Order three Sierra 1's now and lift the TV, or order two 1's and continue to use my Def Tech until the Luna center is finalized...what would you all do?