Thread: Hello...and Merry Christmas

Default Hello...and Merry Christmas

Seriously considering the Sierra Towers (with the ribbon tweeter). I've exchanged a few emails with Dave, who has been very responsive.

Was thinking about the Sierra 2s (and similar speakers from KEF, B&W, Ryan, Revel, Sonus Fabre, and Focal), as I thought that good stand-mounted speakers (with the appropriate sub) would be most appropriate (and pass muster with my wife). But after listening to the Focal 936 speakers, I think that a good full-sized tower might be better (perhaps also with a sub at some point).

I had a chance to listen to the Focal and compare it with similar speakers from B&W and Golden Ear -- Focal clearly won that shoot out. I am thinking strongly about ordering the Sierra Towers and then bringing them to local hi-end stores that carry the speakers listed above. To be honest, I'm hoping that the Sierra Towers are the winners, but I will listen with open ears.

This is for a stereo-only setup, replacing 30-year old B&W DM1800s (which have served well over the years). My home theater is entirely separate. I will be powering this with a pair of Parasound power amplifiers that will be run in mono mode (giving about 90 watts per channel).

I have my Apt Holman pre-amp (a golden oldie that was great then and is still fabulous). Various analogue and digital inputs (with appropriate DACs) will be used to provide music.

I will likely order the Sierra Towers next week. Can't wait to hear them!

Looking forward to some good discussions here.
    Merry Christmas, everyone!
    david

Default Re: Hello...and Merry Christmas

Looking forward to your thoughts on the towers. Were a bit out of my budget at time of purchase, but quite happy with my Sierra 2's.

I was fortunate enough to demo live, very shortly after an extended audition of a set of 1st generation Revel Ultima Gems. The Sierras compared quite favorably to the Gems.

RAAL Towers are now ordered and hopefully I will receive them next Friday...looking forward to setting them up and listening!

I think you'll be very happy with the Sierra Towers. The S2 are superb bookshelf speakers, but there's good reason why the towers cost more.