Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amp threads on AVS

Oh Yeah!! My Dad's amp can beat up your Dad's amp!![]

Randy

Ohhhhhh yeahhhhh! My Outlaw 1050 really "Kicks it"!!

Ed

Since you posted this I have visited the amp forum over at AVS. You're right... they really do go at each others throats. Seems like there are a couple folks that seem to really keep the worms stirred.

Randy

That ATI thread is crazy. You can see I jumped out quickly.

-curtis

LOL!! Yeah, I noticed you were trying to add a little equilibrium to the fray. Best to wait 'till their testosterone levels subside. I'm starting to wonder if this is one of those, "the size of their amp is inversely related to the size of their manhood," type of things.

Randy

Thanks Randy! I was trying to find a delicate way of putting that in
    my post, but gave up![]

I haven't been on that thread. Folks in the biz I respect have told me ATI makes some of the best amps out there regardless of price.

I should have known TubeGuy was involved. Any thread with TG ends up like that. He is likely the most pompous conceited guy on the forums.

What the heck is a tube lover doing on a solid state thread anyway?

Quinn....in TG's defense, he's helped me many times via PMs over at AVS. He's really a nice guy. I think he does get a little "involved" when things are posted that he knows to be wrong. He's very knowledgeable about pro amps since he used to be in that business for quite a few years. He's also done considerable testing on his own. He can be very opinionated and he makes no bones about his preferences. I don't always agree with him, either.

But, you guys are right that it's a "my amp is bigger/better than your amp" type of forum sometimes. You have to sift through all that stuff. If you're patient enough to do that, then you can find some very good info there. That said, I got caught in a couple of those "cross fires" over there and it did get ugly. [B)]

I would certainly use AVS forums as a tool for information about gear over the advice of your local B&M store sales people.

Matter of fact, once you are there for a while, you can seperate who the knowledgeable people are from the posers, there's some valuable information to be had. There's even posters there who work for the manufacturers. There are owners of high quality dealerships who post there and it's even a good sight for tech support that many times exceed what you can get for the customer support people that work for the manufacturers.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
    Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
    Pioneer Elite 59AVi Universal DVD player
    CBM 340 Front L/R
    CBM 340c Center
    CBM 170s for L/R Surround
    1-HTM 200 Rear Surround (6.1)
    HSU VTF-3
    Monster THX certified interconnects
    DIY speaker cable (that's better than anyhing I can purchase elsewhere)

Take a look at the Crown pro-amp thread...."New amp is making me grin ear to ear." Seems like some are having success using these low cost ($230-$250) 2 channel Crown PA amps. Might be worth a try!?!?

Randy