Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surround choice

Default Surround choice

Im near the end for my Christmas list. Im wondering which is thee better choice between the 200 or 340. The room has vaulted ceilings, bamboo floors, and is open to the front door and kitchen. The best room it is not. The equipment to date is Anthem AVM 60, Outlaw 7900, Oppo BDP 105 D. The speakers will be Raal towers, RAAL horizon, and Twin Rythmik f25's.

Default Re: Surround choice

Is there a reason the choice is between these two? They are very different in size. What about the Sierra-2 or the yet to be released Sierra Luna? Will they be mounted to a wall or ceiling?
    -curtis

170s are great for surround duty
    Bunch of speakers

I didn't see the need for the "higher end" s1 or s2for surround duty. The side and rear fill from movies is not that important for that level of detail. Thats why I was looking at the 200 or 340. Unless I'm wrong.

And no size doesn't matter. They will be on the wall. I just don't want to exceed the need.

Quote Originally Posted by dew30296 View Post
    And no size doesn't matter. They will be on the wall. I just don't want to exceed the need.
    Are you taking into account for the rear port of the 340 if wall mounted/?
    -curtis

Yes. I'm a lic. Electrician and carpenter. I plan on building the entertainment center. I have also located some studio mounts for the surrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by dew30296 View Post
    Im near the end for my Christmas list. Im wondering which is thee better choice between the 200 or 340. The room has vaulted ceilings, bamboo floors, and is open to the front door and kitchen. The best room it is not. The equipment to date is Anthem AVM 60, Outlaw 7900, Oppo BDP 105 D. The speakers will be Raal towers, RAAL horizon, and Twin Rythmik f25's.
    With the mention of the open floor plan and vaulted ceilings the 340s might not out of place. I guess it would depend on how far they will be from your main seating area. Also, the 340s should have quite a bit more output from 100 Hz to 500 Hz compared to the 200s. In this large of a room the 200s might be lacking in that region in comparison, where the subwoofers either help a little or not at all. The 200s could sound thin or lacking in comparison on one or both of these areas. However, if the primary use is watching movies, I'm not sure how much you would hear the difference.

You could just order both and A/B them with a few different movies with big effects in the surround channels and see for yourself. The shipping to send either back would be how much? All together I can't image you would be out more than $100 in shipping and then you would have the piece of mind that you have the right surrounds for the job. Or you could call and ask Dave. He will be able to tell you when you give him your specific room size and distance they will be from the main seating position.
    Last edited by N Boros; 12-07-2016 at 06:38 AM.

I have a similar system .. Outlaw 7500, Oppo 103 ,8801 Marantz with the same speakers .. I used the Sierra-2's for my surrounds .. love them. Its not overkill in my ears . Very detailed on movies . I would make the same decision if I were you ... .

Right now the S2s would be too much. I was leaning towards the 340 at first. I guess that is the way to go for the room layout. Thanks all.