Thread: Integrated Amp for Sierra 2 speakers?

Default Integrated Amp for Sierra 2 speakers?

I'm am looking at 2 different integrated amps for future Sierra 2 speakers but there is something I don't understand about the 2 I am looking at related to THD?

I am looking at the following 2 integrated amps:

1. Peachtree Audio Nova 150
    2. NAD C 388

These are both almost identical in price and specs except for THD rating: the Nova 150 says less than 1% THD the NAD C 388 says less than .009 THD that's like 100 times difference mathematically? Can somebody explain to me what is going on in this case with the THD spec - does the Nova 150 really have 100 times more harmonic distortion than the NAD?

Thanks

Default Re: Integrated Amp for Sierra 2 speakers?

People regularly get caught up in spec sheets, but this is not a spec that really matters that much as long as it doesn't look like something that is crazy or out of line. "Less than 1%" is basically the same as a low number like 0.009%. They just have to do the measurement a certain way to get 0.009%. It'll change based on how you're using and measuring the amp. Both of them will have no audible distortion.

Companies play these games on spec sheets to get people to pick their product based off of a few numbers, when most of the time they won't run at that spec, since playing music is not the same as playing a test tone.

I've seen Peachtree systems used with $30k+ speakers at shows. Their equipment is no joke. Extremely capable and very high value. I like that they list the spec the way they do, as that is far more honest when looking at how the device will be used.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Default Re: Integrated Amp for Sierra 2 speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    People regularly get caught up in spec sheets, but this is not a spec that really matters that much as long as it doesn't look like something that is crazy or out of line. "Less than 1%" is basically the same as a low number like 0.009%. They just have to do the measurement a certain way to get 0.009%. It'll change based on how you're using and measuring the amp. Both of them will have no audible distortion.

Companies play these games on spec sheets to get people to pick their product based off of a few numbers, when most of the time they won't run at that spec, since playing music is not the same as playing a test tone.

I've seen Peachtree systems used with $30k+ speakers at shows. Their equipment is no joke. Extremely capable and very high value. I like that they list the spec the way they do, as that is far more honest when looking at how the device will be used.
    Thanks Alex - I kinda of figured it was a numbers game on the THD: I have respect for both companies; NAD and Peachtree. But lately have had a real interest in Peachtree for several reasons.