Thread: CMT 340SE Center placement

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default CMT 340SE Center placement

Hi everyone,

I bought my first set of bookshelf speakers, AA CMB 170s and a Rythmik LV12R Sub, 3 years ago and absolutely love them for the sound; I've only had soundbars and cheap Best Buy pre-made 5.1s prior to this. I recently decided to expand my setup from a 2.1 to include a center channel when I saw a heck of a deal on a used CMT-340SE Center (less than half the price). Based on previous experience with AA quality, I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger on the speaker.

Fast forward a week, I found several threads talking about rear-ported center speakers being placed inside a TV stand/cabinet...specifically, the ill effects enclosures have on the sound quality (bass resonance?). So, where I am haven't even hooked the speaker up yet and I'm already bummed.

My plan was to put the 340C into the top middle shelf of my DIY TV stand, which is similar to the Salamander Synergy 236. Now, here is the magic question: On a scale of 1 to 10, how hosed am I? There is no way to return the speaker, so if the placement is going to be a problem is there anything I can do to mitigate the problems? Ie. Could I take out the backing from the center section which will open up the back of the speaker to the outside (wall 1.5 ft away); and/or remove the two inside-wall panels directly to the left and right of the cavity, leaving only the two outside walls?

Basically I am looking at how to make this work. Mounting the speaker on a wall above the TV is not an option as the setup backs up to a window (I know, not ideal, but it's the best I can do right now. Placing the speaker on top of the stand, in front of the TV is also not ideal, as the speaker is too tall and will obstruct bottom portion of the TV. I could raise the TV with a DIY spacer or put the TV on top of the speaker, however, that will raise the TV 10" above my "ideal" viewing height.

Anyway, I think I've rambled on long enough. I suppose last ditch effort would be bite the bullet and sell the speaker. Let me know what you guys and gals think.

Anyway,I think I need a beer....Cheers.
    Last edited by RussianMeance; 11-23-2016 at 08:19 AM.