Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AVR alternatives to marantz 5009?

Default AVR alternatives to marantz 5009?

Any recommendations for an AV receiver for upgrades to a Marantz 5009? Pref an all in one unit for cost and simplicity's sake.

I struggle with Audessy results and the various surround modes to get the sound I like. For example if you use the audessy settings you can't change the graphic EQ. So the audessey results might be 80% of what I want but maybe I want to tweak the treb in the center and can't.

I'd also like to be able to save multiple preset sound settings which it doesn't support. So if I change a setting it can affect all modes. I'd like to be able to switch between nighttime and daytime settings or news vs movie preferences.

For music, generally I'm pretty happy with pure direct mode, which sounds much better than the processed music modes.

This will probably take a while to settle on something but I might as well start looking. Budget prob < 1750 I think.

My setup: Sierra 2 LRC, Rythmik F12, Orb surrounds, Rega 2, Cambridge pre, NAD CD, apple tv, pioneer plasma.

Thx!

Default Re: AVR alternatives to marantz 5009?

You can check/view the EQ settings which Audyssey applies after setup, but you are correct that you cannot alter them WITHIN THE AUDYSSEY MODE. So, What I have tried in the past was to take a screen shot of the Audyssey settings and duplicate them in your own EQ setup. Once you have that, you can then play around with different settings.

As for remembering input-specific modes, etc. you may be better served with a Denon model.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

If you want to do that much customization to your room correction/EQ you're going to need a Dirac or Anthem enabled system. They are really expensive. Anthem's most affordable receiver, which is 5.2, is $1,399.

http://www.anthemav.com/products-cur.../page=overview

The cheapest Dirac receiver is a few grand I think, but that is rumored to change as people are talking about Pioneer partnering with Dirac.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Thx. I really don't want to do that much. Ideally I'd like to set and forget! And with direct mode working well for music, I don't think the space requires a lot of correction. Usually I turn audesesy off but I often keep trying it to see if I can get better movie sound performance. And usually it's the dialog that's a problem. That's one of the reasons I upgraded to the sierra 2's. But the modes just seem to suck.

I had a crap yamaha soundbar once that had really good settings for stuff like watching news or late night mode, and it worked great. It has a setting that basically gave me the compressed mono quality of a single 6" tv speaker so I could watch the news.

anyway I'm pretty sure that when I use audyessey, it disables the graphic EQ choice afterwards. I'll double check but I find myself in the menus all the time tweaking stuff. And what works in one situation might not work on something else so the lack of personal settings is a PIA.

I'll look at Anthem. Emotiva has been mentioned in the past too.

Thx

All 2016 Marantz and Denon models are Audyssey New Smartphone app ready/enable.

"As Audyssey Pro is phased out, this app will provide many of the same features in an easier to use fashion, making it accessible to consumers as well as custom installers. The app will guide the user through the Audyssey calibration, using the included Audyssey microphone for auto-calibration. The app will also allow the user to check correction results, set target sound options, adjust frequency roll-off, set mid-range compensation controls and save/load/view/print results"

The New Audyssey Smartphone app will be available for purchase ($20) by the end of 2016. In your case I would go with the Marantz 6011 which have Audyssey XT32.
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

Hmm upgrading the marantz to another marantz wouldnt be the worst thing, in general I like it but I'm skeptical.

Is the audessey xt32 a big improvement over the silver in the 5009?

What's the difference between the 6011 and the 7010? They seem almost the same.

Thx!

Audyssey XT32 is a HUGE upgrade over Audyssey XT for both, speakers and subwoofers. Also, not only you get XT32, you also get SubEQ HT which set independent distance and level for two subwoofers then EQ them together. This is very helpful when you run dual subwoofers and they are at different distance from MLP. The 7010 is a very good receiver as well but it's not Audyssey Smatphone app enable. Only 2016 models from Marantz and Denon are Audyssey Smartphone app ready. The Audyssey Smartphone app allows to make changes to Audyssey results, that's why I'm recommending it.
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |

Got you. Thx

I need to look into whether it can handle my audio presets idea. I really would like a low-fi setting for just watching the news among others. Unfortunately my TV doesn't have an internal speaker otherwise that would work for that.

I see you're with Rythmik, I doubt I'll ever get a second sub. Carrying the F12 up 5 flights of stairs was enough for me ;-) Also it already sounds great for the smallish room.

Any idea what the differences are between the 6011 and the 7011 that justifies such a big price jump? On the prod comparison tool on crutchfield they seem very close.

I wonder if I can find a place that would do a trade in for the 5009 or should I just sell it on my own if I go that route.

Thx

The 7011 has 125w per channel and the 6011 has 110w per channel. Both receivers have 9 internal amps and can process up to 11.1 channels. The 7011 has dual LCD screens (blue ring + large LCD screen behind the door) and finally the 7011 comes with HEOS module while the 6011 not. Last year the 6010 did not come with Audyssey XT32 so the difference between models was bigger. This year I think the 6011 is a best bang for the buck deal.