Thread: DAC in AVR vs Dedicated DAC

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: DAC in AVR vs Dedicated DAC

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    My 2 cents:

I've heard a fair number of DACs. While do believe some sound different, it is all a matter of taste. I never thought one really sounded better than another.

I've never heard one change the soundstage or imaging. Those characteristics are how a speaker distributes sound, and a DAC doesn't/can't control that.
    You should really look into Schiit Multibit technology. It is very different from the Delta Sigma DACs that compromises 99% of everything else out there. It's the only DAC that provides a closed form solution to the waveform, not an approximation. It also operates around 14 bits of dynamic range, whereas a DS DAC is somewhere around 4 I believe. It's quite a different experience to my ears.

I agree with you though on DS DACs, there aren't very huge differences between them, just different implementations and filters that can sound a bit different.

As for the imaging and soundstage comment, it's actually a lot more apparent on my LCD-2 headphones fed through my Asgard 2 amp. They don't have that wide of a soundstage normally, but the Bifrost really opens it up. On the Sierra Towers, I feel like the DS DAC in my Marantz is great for surround audio, but in stereo it doesn't feel like the towers are doing everything that I know they can sometimes. The Bifrost Multibit gives it that extra bit of clarity that allows the speakers to sound their fullest, to me. Googling around on reviews and Head-Fi it looks like a lot of people agree that it does have that effect for their systems.
    Last edited by sludgeogre; 10-28-2016 at 09:35 AM.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers