Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front pair, RAAL towers or horizons?

Default Re: Front pair, RAAL towers or horizons?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    With a vertically oriented horizon with the ribbon tweeter rotated, because the tweeter and midrange would now be aligned horizontally, symmetrical horizontal dispersion (to the left of the speaker and to the right of the speaker) is slightly compromised. However, the horizontal dispersion is so wide regardless, I don't think any compromises would be audible. Keep in mind this is exactly what we do with our HTM-200's, and customers love the way the sound and image.

Sometimes not having symmetrical horizontal dispersion, if done right, can be beneficial as you end up getting less issues with reflections from side walls. This was done purposely in the design of the M&K S-100 and S-150.

340's are a different beat entirely and the EXBAC crossover optimizations are more for compensating from the extended baffle created when a speaker with such a small front baffle is placed in or on an entertainment center.
    I see. Thank you for explaining.

It might be helpful to potential customers to have some information about orienting the Horizon's vertically on the webpage. The Sierra 1s and CMT 340s have a separate drop down link and the Sierra 2s have a link on the Sierra 2 page for those who want the horizontal orientation, but I don't see any mention for orienting the Horizon vertically. I really like the form factor of the Horizon vs the tower speaker. It is almost like a big bookshelf speaker and the front port makes is to that you could even wall mount it if you wanted to. I went with the Sierra 2s without really considering the Horizon's as mains because I thought that it would be a big compromise in the sound quality orienting it this way and it just looks weird to have them oriented the correct way as mains. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    I see. Thank you for explaining.

It might be helpful to potential customers to have some information about orienting the Horizon's vertically on the webpage. The Sierra 1s and CMT 340s have a separate drop down link and the Sierra 2s have a link on the Sierra 2 page for those who want the horizontal orientation, but I don't see any mention for orienting the Horizon vertically. I really like the form factor of the Horizon vs the tower speaker. It is almost like a big bookshelf speaker and the front port makes is to that you could even wall mount it if you wanted to. I went with the Sierra 2s without really considering the Horizon's as mains because I thought that it would be a big compromise in the sound quality orienting it this way and it just looks weird to have them oriented the correct way as mains. Just a thought.

Thanks for the recommendation. Due to the amount of work involved on our end in changing the tweeter cutout to accommodate the vertical orientation - it is generally not something we want to "advertise" all that much. We will do it for those customers who specifically request it, but changing the orientation of this tweeter requires router work and adds many additional hours of assembly time.

At some point I will likely investigate a less time consuming option for this, but for now - I honestly feel it is best if we don't advertise it this way.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. Due to the amount of work involved on our end in changing the tweeter cutout to accommodate the vertical orientation - it is generally not something we want to "advertise" all that much. We will do it for those customers who specifically request it, but changing the orientation of this tweeter requires router work and adds many additional hours of assembly time.

At some point I will likely investigate a less time consuming option for this, but for now - I honestly feel it is best if we don't advertise it this way.
    Oh I see. I understand why you wouldn't want to advertise this then. I was under the impression that even the customer could easily just unscrew the tweeter and rotate it 90 degrees and screw it back in and it is done. I didn't know that much effort is involved on your end.

If you do find a less time consuming option it would be great. Some people need the form factor of a bookshelf speaker so only the Sierra 2 or the Horizon are options (and now the upcoming Sierra Lunas). That is awesome that you guys even go to the extra effort needed to rotate the tweeter for customers who ask.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    I was under the impression that even the customer could easily just unscrew the tweeter and rotate it 90 degrees and screw it back in and it is done. I didn't know that much effort is involved on your end.
    For our dome tweeters and Sierra-2 ribbon, yes -- rotating the tweeter is simple. However, for the big RAAL 70-20, rotating requires cabinet modifications.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com