Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beyond the towers (hear me out)

Default Re: Beyond the towers (hear me out)

Agreed on the A-300. I am going with that one. Next up: a subs thread, and a conversation with the esteemed Mr. Fabrikant.

I've decided to test the Emotiva TA-100 versus the Nuprime STA-9 in the two listening spaces. The Modi MB and an Über magni, as well as the amps, are on order now. I realize the amps are different leagues so the comparison should be very interesting, at least for me!

The living room "chain" will look like this:
    Airplay --> Airport Express --> TA-100 --> Sierra NrT towers

Quote Originally Posted by nball View Post
    I've decided to test the Emotiva TA-100 versus the Nuprime STA-9 in the two listening spaces. The Modi MB and an Über magni, as well as the amps, are on order now. I realize the amps are different leagues so the comparison should be very interesting, at least for me!

Cool! Report back with your thoughts! Can't wait to hear what you think.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

If budget is limited, you can also consider the L22 as an alternative to the E15/F15HP. I have a L22 working with a pair of Dynaudio's BM5 mkIII monitors + Apogee Quartet audio interface in my near field desktop setup and it sounds amazing. If you want to HPF your Sierra 2s and crossover at 80Hz like sludgeogre suggested, then you have to go with the F12/F12G with A370PEQ amp. Now that you have already made a decision for the Emotiva A300, another option you may want to consider is the Parasound Halo P5 as pre amp. I have the P5 also and to me is the best stereo pre amp you can have for less than $1000. The analog bass management on the P5 is just amazing and simple. Kinda same functions that you get on the Halo Integrated but without the amp section. The DAC in the P5 is not top notch but it's OK. I don't use it because I have an Oppo 105D that I use as my main source for everything.
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

Quote Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
    If you want to HPF your Sierra 2s and crossover at 80Hz like sludgeogre suggested, then you have to go with the F12/F12G with A370PEQ amp.
    Hi Enrico! I was planning to use the MiniDSP to handle high/low pass duties. Is that better or worse somehow than using the sub's PEQ amp?

Also the Emotiva will be competing with a Nuprime STA-9 for primacy. I give about a month on the sub(s) decision... I doubt I can wait much longer than that!

If you already have the miniDSP then that would be the best way to LPF/HPF. Also with the miniDSP you can EQ and time-align as well.
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

Quote Originally Posted by nball View Post

Have you had a chance to compare the STA-9 vs TA-100 yet? Looking forward to hearing your reactions as I am considering those amps as well. What's your STA-9 chain look like?

Actually, you might get a kick out of this: I liked my buddy's Parasound 275 v2 so much that I bought a pair of used Parasound amps on Audiogon. The ZAMP sounds delightful so far in my office and was a real steal at a fraction of the cost of the STA-9. Honestly, after a few days of heavy listening I cannot say I'd differentiate them in a blind test.

I also have a v1 275 on the way for the living room (Sierra towers.)