Thread: The CBM-170's have landed!

Cool. I'm glad you like them. Are you pairing them with a sub or stand-alone? What amp/receiver?

BradJudy,

I intend on pairing them with the HSU STF-2. I bought this sub to go with the Ascends earlier in the year but ended up having to return it for the same reason.I currently use a Phase Technology Power-12 which I may part with shortly. My favorite sub was one from my own design, an acoustic suspension sub featuring an inexpensive 10'' sheilded driver.. incredibly accurate but she didn't get too loud. I attempted to remedy that and instead screwed up a good design. Live and learn I guess. The STF-2 lacks the power of the Phase Tech 12, and the fidelity of my little sub, but she is just powerful and accurate enough to do the job - not to mention it both sonically and physically matches the Ascends perfectly well.

I am using a JVC RX-10 receiver, which sports digital amplifiers. Don't let the name fool you, this inexpensive and un-assuming product carries some killer sound. I've had the Rotel RA-932, NAD C372, Musical Fidelity A300, and Jolida JD 1301 integrated amplifiers on this system and this little JVC gives all of them weighty competition. I definately encourage anyone to give this receiver a try. It can be had for $250 from jandr.com. 30 day trial period, very little to loose and a whole lot to potentially gain.

My apologies for rambling. I love this hobby and it is quite easy to get caught up in it all!

Sean,

I guess it is "welcome back". Glad you re-introduced yourself to the CBM-170.

I would like to read more about the JVC RX-10. I keep thinking about putting something inexpensive in my bedroom.

-curtis

Curtis,

There's a big thread on the JVC over on AudioCircle in the digital and multichannel forum.

Thanks Brad....I will check it out.

-curtis

Curtis,

I finally had the chance to crank up the volume a bit. Something I tend to do less and less as time goes by. I must say, these continue to impress. Perhaps the most impressive aspect about this speakers sound is the lack of sibilance. I am a sucker for speakers that can perform well on virtually any genre, and the CBM-170’s do not let me down. These are being used for a PC audio/studio system – their flat frequency response is just what the doctor ordered.

As BradJudy directed to you, a good majority of discussion about this unit can be found in the multi-channel room on the Audio Circle boards. I cannot begin to describe just how wonderful of a unit the Rx-10 is, but like every budget piece, there are limitations. One should keep a few grains of salt close by when reading some of the comments made.