Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Amp Recommendations for Sierra 2s

Default Power Amp Recommendations for Sierra 2s

Hi Everyone!

I am going to buy the Sierra 2 speakers very soon however the amplifier I was expecting to use with them recently broke.

I am now planning to go all out and buy a high end power amp to drive the Sierra 2s.

There are lots of good options out there but I also want to get something that has great synergy with the Sierra speakers.

I already have a very solid pre-amp so I would prefer a dedicated power amp over an integrated amp.

What is everyone here using and do you have any recommendations for me?

My amp budget is between 1-2k. Let me know what you think!

Default Re: Power Amp Recommendations for Sierra 2s

Without any hesitation the only amps I would recommend are the Emotiva XPA series and the new, yet to be released Schiit two channel amps. Those Schiit amps are going to be packed with some serious electronics for so little money. Absolutely astounding the kind of value those guys deliver. 100 WPC into 8 ohm and 200 into 4 ohm, it doesn't get any better than that. Can even buy a second one and run them mono, but that would be overkill for the Sierra 2. Even the XPA series is 300 WPC, so you would only want to run it at about half volume max.

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-gen3

http://schiit.com/news/news/schiit-p...l-line-at-rmaf
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

I can just imagine, your buddy comes over and says "hey what kind of amps are those." Your reply, "They're Schiit!"

All joking aside, I recently picked up an Emotiva XMC-1 along with an XPA-5 Gen 3 and it is working extremely well with my Sierra 2 setup.

I am using a tube amp - the VTA ST-120 designed by Bob Latino. 60 wpc (which I operate in triode mode so it is reduced to 32 wpc) but it drives the Sierra 2's with ease and sounds sublime.

Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Parasound makes some quality gear especially the Halo line. The A23 or the A21 would fit the bill. The A23 is in budget and the A21 is just outside of your budget if you purchase a demo from Audio Advisor.

I have a different take on things I guess. The Sierra 2s are not a difficult set of speakers to drive. I have mine powered by a receiver and it sounds great to me and can get plenty loud. But, since you already have a preamp and need an amp to go with it this would should be fine:

http://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/300

The Sierra 2s can only handle at most 150 Watts per channel continuously and Emotiva makes great amps. I say take the extra money left over and put it into room treatments. I think that you will definitely hear a bigger difference there than spending more money an amplifier.
    Last edited by N Boros; 10-14-2016 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    I say take the extra money left over and put it into room treatments. I think that you will definitely hear a bigger difference there than spending more money an amplifier.
    +1 to this.

There is an elephant in the room when it comes to amplifiers: most people (myself included) simply cannot tell the difference past a certain quality level, even in an A/B situation. Past a certain point amplifiers become more about prestige and less about sound quality.

Note that I said most people, so if you are one of the few that distinguish these things, please do not be upset with me!

All that said, I will add my voice to the many in this thread recommending Emotiva!