Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Q re marantz direct mode and a subwoofer

Default Re: Q re marantz direct mode and a subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I took a look at the manual as well. Many changes since I got the 6003. There's a chart on page 243 that shows what channels are active for each mode. For Direct/Pure Direct (2-channel) it shows the sub will output bass per your last quote line, where my 6003 does not do that. I wonder if bass management(crossover) is active in Direct/Pure Direct or if the speakers receive a full range signal? My 6003 does not have any bass management in those modes.
    That is really weird. The other thing I would do, then, is run a pair of RCA cables from the L and R 7.1 pre-outs on your receiver to the subwoofer instead of using LFE. Then you would set your speakers to small and dial in the crossover and slope on the subwoofer. You actually get more customization that way, but LFE in movies will be downmixed to stereo (not really a big deal either).
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Thanks all! Can't wait to give it a try!

Hi there - I can't find the setting mode for LFE in Pure mode. How do I even get to that?

Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    Hi there - I can't find the setting mode for LFE in Pure mode. How do I even get to that?

Thx!
    Pure mode outputs no video to the screen at all, so I don't know if you can do it from the on-screen menu, which is the only place that I do it. I don't think the video processing really messes with much so I just always run in Direct, not Pure Direct. On my version, which should be very close to yours, you just select "speakers" from the main menu, then go to "subwoofer" and there should be an option to tell your receiver it's there, and then another that says "mode" which should be set to "LFE+Main". Hope this helps.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Sorry, I meant direct mode where the screen is on.

In any event, I can set the speaker mode to LFE+Main, but I'm not hearing any sub output in Direct or Direct Pure mode. That only seems to affect Stereo mode, which invokes the audessey processing. And it's hard to compare the quality because the volume difference is large. I'll try direct out from the Preamp as soon as I can find another RCA cable so I can do L & R channels.

Also, with Sierra 2's, if I'm using the Audessey settings, do you recommend using bypass, Reference or Flat for the front L&R?

Thx!
    Last edited by Blingleberry; 10-14-2016 at 10:43 AM.

Try setting your mains to small.

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    Sorry, I meant direct mode where the screen is on.

In any event, I can set the speaker mode to LFE+Main, but I'm not hearing any sub output in Direct or Direct Pure mode. That only seems to affect Stereo mode, which invokes the audessey processing. And it's hard to compare the quality because the volume difference is large. I'll try direct out from the Preamp as soon as I can find another RCA cable so I can do L & R channels.

Also, with Sierra 2's, if I'm using the Audessey settings, do you recommend using bypass, Reference or Flat for the front L&R?

Thx!
    IMO...it is all a matter of taste. Try everything and see what sounds best to you. It will also give you a better understanding on what the system is doing.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    Try setting your mains to small.
    Did that already.