Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q re marantz direct mode and a subwoofer

Default Q re marantz direct mode and a subwoofer

I have Sierra 2's LRC and an F12, powered via a Marantz 5009.

I have the sub connected to one of the sub outputs on the receiver. So I'm using the cross over in the receiver.

All sounds great in Stereo mode. I think I am starting to get it dialed in and used the audessey settings.

But when I switch to Marantz direct mode, there's no sub woofer signal being sent. Is there a better way to connect the Sub that would work in any mode?

Thanks!

Default Re: Q re marantz direct mode and a subwoofer

That's kind of weird, I still have subwoofer signal when in direct mode on my Marantz AV7701. It should disengage any correction that Audyssey is making, but still use the crossovers, levels, and distances that it set. You may want to check that the subwoofer option is selected as "yes" when you're in direct mode, that may fix it.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

From reading about direct mode is that it bypasses all audio processing. I can see if the sub out is settable in direct mode.

Is there a way to edit settings for different modes? I never figured that out.

One thing I wish the Marantz had was a favorites setting to store customized presets. I would use that for a late night mode that turned off the sub completely!

I use a Marantz AV7702 MKII Pre-Pro and my dual subwoofers are firing in pure direct mode using the sub outputs. I use the speaker configuration menu to delete my subs for front speaker placement.

I use an older Marantz SR6003 for 2 channel with a Rythmik. Your 5009 receiver is probably very similar in that Direct & Pure Direct modes bypass all processing including the sub out. I wanted to run everything in strictly Pure direct and was wondering how to include the sub as well. Since I am using a separate power amp I was able to do this: Marantz SR6003 pre outs feed the inputs of the Rythmik amp - Rythmik amp acts as a fixed 80Hz crossover sending the high-passed signal to my amp which then powers my Sierra-2's. I set the filter toggle on the Rythmik to either the 12db or 24db/octave slope, then adjust the gain to the desired level.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Thanks. So I would connect the sub to the Preamp outs and then use the cross over on the sub?

I guess that would bypass the audessey settings but I would then just dial the sub in by ear?

Finally, why would I delete the sub from the speaker config? Isn't that necessary to filter out the sub content from the LRC speakers? The Sierra 2's seem to choke out a bit with the sub bass in the signal.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    Thanks. So I would connect the sub to the Preamp outs and then use the cross over on the sub?

I guess that would bypass the audessey settings but I would then just dial the sub in by ear?

Finally, why would I delete the sub from the speaker config? Isn't that necessary to filter out the sub content from the LRC speakers? The Sierra 2's seem to choke out a bit with the sub bass in the signal.

Thanks guys!
    In order for the method mentioned to work, the subwoofer has to be set to "off" because you aren't technically using the subwoofer as far as the receiver is concerned, you're just using left and right speaker taps from the receiver, going to the speaker taps on the sub, then from the sub out to the speakers.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    In order for the method mentioned to work, the subwoofer has to be set to "off" because you aren't technically using the subwoofer as far as the receiver is concerned, you're just using left and right speaker taps from the receiver, going to the speaker taps on the sub, then from the sub out to the speakers.
    By speaker "taps" I take it you are referring to the speaker binding posts? If so, that's not how I am using the AVR or sub so I'm not sure if the sub's speaker level connection will apply any crossover filtering.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    By speaker "taps" I take it you are referring to the speaker binding posts? If so, that's not how I am using the AVR or sub so I'm not sure if the sub's speaker level connection will apply any crossover filtering.
    So, looked at the 5009 manual and you just need to make sure that "LFE+Main" is turned on in direct mode:

- Subwoofer
    Turn subwoofer output on and off.
    On
    (Default):
    The subwoofer is used.
    Off: The subwoofer is not used.
    - You can set this when the sound mode is “Direct” or “Stereo” and in the menu “Subwoofer Mode” is set to “LFE+Main”.
    Last edited by sludgeogre; 10-04-2016 at 10:12 PM.
    -Alex

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    So, looked at the 5009 manual and you just need to make sure that "LFE+Main" is turned on in direct mode:

- Subwoofer
    Turn subwoofer output on and off.
    On
    (Default):
    The subwoofer is used.
    Off: The subwoofer is not used.
    - You can set this when the sound mode is “Direct” or “Stereo” and in the menu “Subwoofer Mode” is set to “LFE+Main”.
    I took a look at the manual as well. Many changes since I got the 6003. There's a chart on page 243 that shows what channels are active for each mode. For Direct/Pure Direct (2-channel) it shows the sub will output bass per your last quote line, where my 6003 does not do that. I wonder if bass management(crossover) is active in Direct/Pure Direct or if the speakers receive a full range signal? My 6003 does not have any bass management in those modes.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables