Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ascend Acoustics true full range tower speaker. "The Challenger Deep"

Default Re: New Ascend Acoustics true full range tower speaker. "The Challenger Deep"

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbalt View Post
    Hi Dave,
    New member here. We are exchanging email regarding delivery to Canada. I'm really interested with either S2 or ST but still pondering about that high tax of ours. Might as well wait for "The Challenger Deep" so don't have to upgrade for a long time.
    My amp is W4S (class D) and I currently have Veritas 6.2 and Totem Rainmakers.

Any ETA for the new tower?

Cheers,
    Danny
    Danny,

Welcome to the forum. I interpret Dave's comment above as he is saying it is really tough and not something he might do in any time soon, if at all. I could be wrong.

He is currently close to finishing up the Sierra Sat that is hopefully releasing soon and then it sounded like his next project might be a Sierra tower or bookshelf with a diamond tweeter. He has said it will be at least $6000 for a bookshelf implementation though because of the high cost of the diamond tweeter.

Default Re: New Ascend Acoustics true full range tower speaker. "The Challenger Deep"

Thank you very much for your reply.
    That diamond tweeter is very intriguing but for 6k bookshelf, it might be too much at least for me but it might be acceptable if its a tower.

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbalt View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    That diamond tweeter is very intriguing but for 6k bookshelf
    Danny

Just to be clear, he said at least $6,000. He has no idea how much it might cost, since he hasn't started designing it yet, but knows that it will be more than $6,000.

I own the Sierra 2s and they are excellent speakers that I don't plan to replace for any time soon. When I save up enough money I plan to build a small enclosed theater room (about 12 ft by 18 ft) in my basement and use the Sierra 2s in there. If you have a larger room, you might need the towers.

Sorry if i mislead anyone. It was (sort of) a joke thread and a dumb one at that. I was just dreaming. I am curious what dave could do if he decided to take the tower to a new level but of course if it's too expensive it might not appeal to the ascend crowd. I'm guessing that as it stands the ultimate sound would come from sierra 2 with diamond tweeter and a good sub well blended.
    Last edited by Brannigan; 09-30-2016 at 10:55 PM.

I would guess that if the diamond tweeter works well in a bookshelf, it would also makes sense in the tower. If not more so.

Anyone see the Spendor D9?
    http://www.spendoraudio.com/Images/S...nformation.pdf

man it looks familiar...

Quote Originally Posted by wilcat_2000 View Post

man it looks familiar...
    Yeah it sure does, but their tweeter looks pretty cool, and so does the rear port. Made in the UK, though, so they would likely cost a whole lot of cash to bring over to the US.

The crossover looks quite a bit different from the stuff that Dave uses. The materials for the woofers are also quite different.

It's really hard to tell how they'd compare with what little measurements most companies give these days. Many don't even give a +/- 3 dB rating to their frequency response, and even fewer list anechoic and in-room response. Drives me nuts!
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Thumbs up Re: New Ascend Acoustics true full range tower speaker. "The Challenger Deep"

Quote Originally Posted by wilcat_2000 View Post

man it looks familiar...
    As do many slim tall towers. Spendor Audio does make a quality product, no doubt these would sound great! But as any thing you purchase, most of us want to obtain the best value (sound) for our hard earned $$$

However, over the Ascend Towers, not sure the D9's would have any sound quality advantages, especially for 4X the price! According to specs (with RAAL tweeters), frequency response goes to the Ascends. The D9's are shown going down to 27hz (1\2 octave lower), however that could be with a 10db down point (spec not mentioned). The Ascend Towers have greater power handling capability, higher efficiency, smaller footprint, more compact dimensions, longer warranty, made in USA by Dave Fabricant and in MHO, better looks!!!

A direct A\B comparison would be interesting, but I'd bet that 75% overall savings on the AA Towers!

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 11-07-2016 at 10:34 AM.
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    As do many slim tall towers. Spendor Audio does make a quality product, no doubt these would sound great! But as any thing you purchase, most of us want to obtain the best value (sound) for our hard earned $$$

However, over the Ascend Towers, not sure the D9's would have any sound quality advantages, especially for 4X the price! According to specks (with RAAL tweeters), frequency response goes to the Ascends. The D9's are shown going down to 27hz (1\2 octave lower), however that could be with a 10db down point (spec not mentioned). The Ascend Towers have greater power handling capability, higher efficiency, smaller footprint, more compact dimensions, longer warranty, made in USA by Dave Fabricant and in MHO, better looks!!!

A direct A\B comparison would be interesting, but I'd bet that 75% overall savings on the AA Towers!

Ted
    I did not even look for a price, but 4x the cost? HOLY COW! Not worth it at all!
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

I am thinking of a tower with dual 8 inch woofers that produce 30 Hz for music listening. These could benefit from a subwoofer for theater, but could still stand on their own without subs.

I enjoy my dual subs now, but am not a big fan of huge LFE, and have never made subs sound perfectly blended in spite of 15 years of fiddling with various ones in various systems.

B.