Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ascend Acoustics true full range tower speaker. "The Challenger Deep"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Ascend Acoustics true full range tower speaker. "The Challenger Deep"

Sorry I couldn't help myself. So how long until dave starts working on the next tower? Something that requires no sub whatsoever but still plays balanced music.

RAAL tweeter
    Updated midrange cone
    Updated 5.5" woofer
    New 6.5" woofer
    New 8" woofer
    New fancy crossover that somehow magically makes it all work.

Come on dave make it happen. Take everything that makes the sierra tower good and add gut rumbling thunder when appropriate. I need this. Please.

Default Re: New Ascend Acoustics true full range tower speaker. "The Challenger Deep"

because....see...the challenger deep is the deepest place that can possibly be conquered..and....yeah

i can't afford these http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Exotica+3

so..come on dave let's go

Default Re: New Ascend Acoustics true full range tower speaker. "The Challenger Deep"

Quote Originally Posted by Brannigan View Post
    because....see...the challenger deep is the deepest place that can possibly be conquered..and....yeah

i can't afford these http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Exotica+3

so..come on dave let's go
    So Mr. B, if you haven't Yet, add the Rythmik F12 or F15 (or 2 of each) to go with your fabulous AA RAAL Towers and "Have It All", Already (@ $1\3 less the E3's)!!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

The way to add gut rumbling thunder is with a Rythmik subwoofer or two. Running loudspeakers full range doesn't make a lot of sense to me because of the power requirements of really low frequencies and because of the interactions of the room. The room plays a bigger part in how you hear bass than the driver does, so the PEQ on a plate amp as well as the ability to do room correction and other kinds of DSP on a subwoofer make it far more advantageous than making one giant monstrosity of a speaker with elevated bass response.

Most importantly is that the best place to have a low frequency driver is rarely the same spot as where the left and right speakers are. With your left and right speaker you want to abide by the golden triangle rule, but with subwoofers it's better to have two at the quarter points of the wall your speakers are on, if you're in a regular room, or in some random spot in your room if you have an oddly shaped room.

As much as one would love to just go full range all the time, it really isn't the best way to get the best sound out of your room.

The only thing I would do to improve my system is put it in a better room (two months away, my house is being framed right now) and maybe build a subwoofer system for that room with 18" drivers in the corners of the room with some kind of Dirac room correction system.

Dave could speak to what that driver compliment would require as far as a crossover, but I think that smattering of ranges of drivers would require a totally insane crossover to sound alright.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

the advice is appreciated but i already had an f15 and sold it. it took me awhile to admit it to myself but the towers sound better pure. it was necessary when i started out with the sierra 1. now it just reduces bass articulation. i'm most likely just incompetent at sub setup but it is what it is. if dave handles the crossovers from top to bottom it will be perfect, i know it. there's too much room for error for audiotards like myself. my room has almost no extra space which makes it hard to deal with sub placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Brannigan View Post
    Sorry I couldn't help myself. So how long until dave starts working on the next tower? Something that requires no sub whatsoever but still plays balanced music.

RAAL tweeter
    Updated midrange cone
    Updated 5.5" woofer
    New 6.5" woofer
    New 8" woofer
    New fancy crossover that somehow magically makes it all work.

Come on dave make it happen. Take everything that makes the sierra tower good and add gut rumbling thunder when appropriate. I need this. Please.
    One of the interesting aspects of speaker design is that to get deep bass you must have plenty of internal cabinet volume. Obviously, this requires a very large speaker cabinet. Large speaker cabinets compromise both imaging and midrange performance. Sure, we can easily design a tower speaker with true 20Hz bass, but getting it to perform as well as our Sierra towers with mids and imaging would be an incredible challenge. The only way might be to include a powered woofer section so that we can keep cabinet size somewhat reduced...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Salk did it with the exotica 3. There's nothing wrong with borrowing that idea since it seems like they borrowed all of yours and ran with it while charging a fortune. I think you could make a poor man's version of it for half the price that sounds almost if not just as good. I'll start saving right now.

Maybe rythmik can help and make a new amp with a few controls on the back to help control peaks for the big woofer.

Brannigan,

Suppose you have a sealed rectangular room. The best place to put your speakers for bass would be at the midpoints of opposing walls. This placement will allow you to move around the room and have a consistent response in the bass region. There won't be places where there are huge peaks or nulls in the bass region (or at least you will have minimized this). You will have also likely canceled out some of the nulls.

The problem with this is that this is the worst place you can put the speakers to image well. The modern approach of using subwoofers is a great fix to the problem. You can get a couple of capable Rythmik subwoofers and place them ideally for the best bass response. You can then place your mains where they need to be to give you the best imaging and soundstage. This also saves you money and gives you better performance all around.

With this approach, depending on the size of your room, you may or not even need tower speakers since the subwoofer is helping with the heavy lifting in the bass region. If you have a larger room, then you may still need tower speakers for the 100 Hz up to 500 Hz region, where the bookshelf speakers might struggle in pressurizing the space.
    Last edited by N Boros; 09-28-2016 at 09:19 AM.

Hi Dave,
    New member here. We are exchanging email regarding delivery to Canada. I'm really interested with either S2 or ST but still pondering about that high tax of ours. Might as well wait for "The Challenger Deep" so don't have to upgrade for a long time.
    My amp is W4S (class D) and I currently have Veritas 6.2 and Totem Rainmakers.

Any ETA for the new tower?

Cheers,
    Danny