Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small, cheap and used powered Sub?

Default Re: Small, cheap and used powered Sub?

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    I was curious what you said about L12 being something I could upgrade. Did you mean trade up instead?
    BB,

Dave says it All HERE !!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    BB,

Go cheap and maybe quickly regret it...spend a little extra now and be very happy long term!

My .02 cents,

Ted
    +1 on this. I picked up a cheap Polk sub (404 I think) and very very quickly traded up to a Rhythmik.

I was curious what you said about L12 being something I could upgrade. Did you mean trade up instead?
    Sorry for the confusion. My overall suggestion is to "trade-up now", as in spending a few $$ more and getting, as Dave strongly recommended, a sub he knows matches (L12) the world class sound of the Sierra 2's!

If you take that L12 plunge now, I'm sure you'll be well satisfied in your overall quality of sound, and even happier when you set up a future HT in a new listening environment that has "no downstairs neighbors" to be concerned with!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Thx. I may have to wait for a clearance deal or used. Someone has a six year old F12 on ebay. Might make a go for it.

Red face Re: Small, cheap and used powered Sub?

A workable used F12 sub at a great price (value of $1K) would be the perfect musical match you might Ever Need with the Sierra 2's...Good Luck!

If that doesn't pan out, although a little bit larger, here is the 7-year warranty HSU VTF-1 that Dave was referencing, just at your stated budget!

Ted

Looking at all of the various options, I'm considering a single rhythmik. I think my choices are between the F8 on sale, F12 on clearance or eBay, or the L12. Any suggestions?

Thx!

Looking at all of the various options, I'm considering a single rhythmik. I think my choices are between the F8 on sale, F12 on clearance or eBay, or the L12. Any suggestions?

Thx!
    `

I think those are all great options! I have two of the L12s and really like them. The F12 will have more output and slightly better sound quality than the L12 but it might be harder for you to add a second one later on. I don't know much about the F8 but I hear it sounds great but may not extend quite as deep.
    Nate

Well, I found a used F12 and went for it. We'll see how it goes when I get it!

Its a lot larger than what I was interested in and hopefully won't be noticeable to the downstairs neighbors. Sound wise I think I'd want to set it to be as subtle as possible anyway. So hopefully at a low setting, with some roll off for movie sub sonics (which I don't like much anyway), it shouldn't shake the building.

If Rhythmic had a 8" or 10" single speaker model, that probably would have been preferable. Sound and size wise but also, I'm not exactly looking forward to carrying the speaker up 5 flights of stairs!

Thumbs up Re: Small, cheap and used powered Sub?

Well, I found a used F12 and went for it. We'll see how it goes when I get it!
    Congrats BB,

If it was the F12 that just finished on bay, nice catch!!

Hopefully you have access to a dolly for those stairs...be careful! It'll be easier getting it set up and without rumbling the building, should integrate and compliment the excellent bass sound of the S2's.

Best thing is you have "The Sub" for a future room on a slab that will carry your music and HT needs into the future!!

Good Luck,

Ted

Thx!

Yeah, I could sense a bidding war on that one, and decided to give up. Lucky for me I had to take a leak at 6 am and saw there were just a few seconds left for a hail mary!...

I'll never have a slab under me. Apartment living for us for the foreseeable future. But we do have a small 2nd floor where my small home music studio is. And no one would care if I used the sub up there!