Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small, cheap and used powered Sub?

Default Small, cheap and used powered Sub?

I'm considering trying a sub with my S2's. I want to keep it below $400. Used is fine.

I won't crank it, it will be very subtle. I have downstairs neighbors and don't want to drive them crazy. (I hate explosions anyway) It's mostly for music but also TV/Movies. If it's small enough I could tuck it behind my TV and keep it off the floor. I was looking at a sunfire junior (8") that was only 9" square that seems to have respectable ratings.

Also saw a few 10" speakers on ebay. I probably don't think I should go bigger tho.

Thx

Default Re: Small, cheap and used powered Sub?

If you're looking for quick bang for your buck, the Pioneer subs by Andrew Jones are pretty legendary for value. It's not going to be super accurate and tight like a Rythmik, but it'll give you great depth and warmth to the LFE on movies. I've heard one in a friend's big open loft and it did a great job of making things sound nice. Again, it's not going to dig down and rattle your chest, but you're not looking for that, so I think this would be a perfect match for you, and they are dirt cheap. There are even a ton of people that mod them and swear by them. At this price you could even buy two and have stereo subs. That would be even better for eliminating room modes and keeping the sound even across the room. I'd really recommend doing that if you want to spend the cash, and you're still under $400.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SW-8M.../dp/B008NCD2PC

There is nothing that will compete with it at that price. I don't know of any other sub under $400 that I would recommend. The next step up from that is around $500 to 600 bucks.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    I'm considering trying a sub with my S2's. I want to keep it below $400. Used is fine.

I won't crank it, it will be very subtle. I have downstairs neighbors and don't want to drive them crazy. (I hate explosions anyway) It's mostly for music but also TV/Movies. If it's small enough I could tuck it behind my TV and keep it off the floor. I was looking at a sunfire junior (8") that was only 9" square that seems to have respectable ratings.

Also saw a few 10" speakers on ebay. I probably don't think I should go bigger tho.

Thx
    BB,

IMO, the compact Rythmik L12 (at just 25% more than your budget), would be a great starter sub that should be "extremely musical", accurate and only as loud as YOU want it to be! It will give you future expand ability and should integrate very well with your S2 Monitors (they deserve it) for both music and HT!

I started with a well rated $300 10" Velodyne that sounded like #%&@$ (couldn't stand it), then very quickly stepped up to a quality sub. "Bass Fidelity" was a Huge Improvement (in the +500% range) over the sub par 1st sub attempt in my Music\HT room!!

Go cheap and maybe quickly regret it...spend a little extra now and be very happy long term!

My .02 cents,

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 09-20-2016 at 05:34 AM.
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Thx - definitely will look into that Pioneer sub.

Ted, How is the L12 expandable?

Thx - definitely will look into that Pioneer sub.

Hey Blingle, I found the Elite version for $380

http://hifiheaven.net/shop/Pioneer-E...LMsaAi6Y8P8HAQ

Thx! But I don't think I can do a downward firing speaker. My LR is right above my neighbor's BR!

I would look for a used one.

The L12 might be more sub than you currently want\need, but you'll be all set with a great musical sub for future relocation into your own place with a Larger HT Room!
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

I'm interested in the L12, but it is a little large. I almost made the plunge for an F8 on clearance, but someone snatched it before I could. But it's kind of too big too. The room's not so small, but it just is nice to have less crap in the apt. Would be nice if Rythmik made a single 10 or 8". But others do that I guess I'll look more closely at and look used.

I was curious what you said about L12 being something I could upgrade. Did you mean trade up instead?

Thx
    I would strongly recommend splurging a bit and going with the L12. It is as good as you can get at this price point to matching the transient response of the Sierra-2, which is an important factor when choosing a sub to use with our speakers.

If you can't swing it, take a look at the HSU VTF-1.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com