Thread: Decisions

Default Decisions

Hi, Im new here. Im in the market for a good front LCR speakers for a HT room. Would like to know what do you consider best to have good dynamics and great sound: Sierra 2 or CMT-340 SE (I will use a separate sub of course). This system will be used for movies and not for stereo. Im comming from a full range speakers that I have been playing loud (this is why I need good dynamics) but need to downsize. My room is about 15ft by 22ft and will be seating at 12ft from screen/speakers. Your input will be really appreciated.

Default Re: Decisions

Where are you located?

Jumping from CMT-340s to the Sierra 2's is quite the leap. I currently have Sierra 2's as my L/R and Horizon (NRT) as my center. I have had Sierra 2's in LCR before and they are simply amazing. My room is 15x13 and I have a Rythmik 15" sub currently. Someday I will upgrade to towers and RAAL Horizon but thats just so I never have to wonder if I am missing out on sound.

I had a friend demo my Sierra 1s (non NRT) and Sierra 2s and said he can easily tell a difference in the high notes between the two. He said the RAAL makes a huge difference in the high end. He than took my Sierra 2s and A/B them to a pair of Paradigm Towers. He got a steal of a deal on the towers and wanted to see how the 2's matched up. He said he and his wife could not tell a difference between the two. The $1500 towers matched perfectly to the bookshelf sierra 2's (His preference). So, with a sub, you cannot go wrong with the 2's. You will be blown away.

If you decide to get serious about your theater I do recommend the horizon. Going from sierra 2 center to a horizon center I was blown away. If space was an issue or funds I would have stuck with the Sierra 2 center because it did a fantastic job, the horizon is just above and beyond.

Thanks for the input. Talking abut the horizon they look interesting, do you know if they are produced as L and R or just C?

Just found it, is the Sierra ... looks great and seems not big footprint ....

Quote Originally Posted by jorsan View Post
    Thanks for the input. Talking abut the horizon they look interesting, do you know if they are produced as L and R or just C?
    There are a couple people here who have them as L/C/R. They are basically Sierra towers in a smaller (horizontal) form. If I was going with a dedicated theater (someday I will) I will probably build it with 3 horizons behind an AT screen.

How the Horizon has to be positioned, agianst the wall, separate from the wall or just doesn't matter?

It is front ported so i believe it can be as close to the wall as possible (the speaker inputs are in the back). I am possibly mounting mine on a wall behind a projector screen and will need 18" total. The Horizon is 12.5 inches deep, the inputs stick out another inch. Plus the 3 inches for my locking banana plugs.

thanks for your information. I need to to digest all this now.