Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anything compete with the RAAL tower or Sierra 2?

Default Can anything compete with the RAAL tower or Sierra 2?

I owned the Sierra 2 and made the upgrade to the RAAL tower. I am just throwing this out there to get some knowledge. Is there any bookshelf speaker out there that compete with the RAAL ribbon as far as being so clear and open? I am looking around at 1500 dollars to spend on bookshelves again and I don't think I will find another speaker that can compete. From what I have researched only the KEF LS50 can compete. Maybe Elac's new Uni Fi Thoughts.

Default Re: Can anything compete with the RAAL tower or Sierra 2?

New speakers around $1,500 price point? I don't believe so, KEF LS50 can put up a good fight, but in the end the Sierra-2 will still be superior as it goes down deeper, has larger soundstage and also has better highs due to RAAL

Only other speakers I can think that will offer you same level of performance at similar price point but with different house sound would probably be speakers made by Dennis Murphy or Salk Sound

Or, you can monitor the used speakers market, you may find some bargain out there that sounds good to your ears,

The Elac speakers are not going to be as accurate. They have an accentuated sound in the bass range, and it's more of a sweet sound rather than completely accurate. Good speakers, just not the same kind of design intent as the Sierra 2 or Tower.

From what I've heard of the KEF LS50, it's also a great sounding speaker, but may not be the most accurate. It apparently images very well, so may be slightly better than the Sierra 2, but I don't know. I did read a shootout a guy did between the LS50 and the Sierra 2 and I believe he ended up keeping the LS50, regretting it, and then buying the Sierra 2 again. It's just a matter of taste in the end, both incredible speakers, but one may provide a better experience for each person for a different reason (accuracy, soundstage, imagine, bass impact, instrument separation, etc...). Since you asked specifically about clear and open speakers, I really doubt you'll find anything better for $1500. You're probably talking $5000+ for something more clear and open. I don't know of any other speaker company with less smoothing on their frequency response charts, or of anyone that sells such an incredible tweeter for such a low price.

If I were you I would invest that money in better/more subwoofers, better/bigger amplification, room correction or DSP.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    The Elac speakers are not going to be as accurate. They have an accentuated sound in the bass range, and it's more of a sweet sound rather than completely accurate. Good speakers, just not the same kind of design intent as the Sierra 2 or Tower.

From what I've heard of the KEF LS50, it's also a great sounding speaker, but may not be the most accurate. It apparently images very well, so may be slightly better than the Sierra 2, but I don't know. I did read a shootout a guy did between the LS50 and the Sierra 2 and I believe he ended up keeping the LS50, regretting it, and then buying the Sierra 2 again. It's just a matter of taste in the end, both incredible speakers, but one may provide a better experience for each person for a different reason (accuracy, soundstage, imagine, bass impact, instrument separation, etc...). Since you asked specifically about clear and open speakers, I really doubt you'll find anything better for $1500. You're probably talking $5000+ for something more clear and open. I don't know of any other speaker company with less smoothing on their frequency response charts, or of anyone that sells such an incredible tweeter for such a low price.

If I were you I would invest that money in better/more subwoofers, better/bigger amplification, room correction or DSP.
    I had planned on going with AA. Not only for the product but Dave and Dina can't be beat. As for my towers, I purchased some expensive RBH Sound Reference speakers and my Raal towers are way way better.. And half of what I paid. Also no MDF which I can't stand..

The vlam bamboo cabinet is one of the things that really makes Ascend unique. Combined with the Raal and the Curv woofer, I don't think you can beat the Sierra 2 for the money. And it can certainly hold its own at even higher price points. Also, as you mentioned, the customer service from Dave and Dina is spectacular. You won't get that kind of service from a larger company.

Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    New speakers around $1,500 price point? I don't believe so, KEF LS50 can put up a good fight, but in the end the Sierra-2 will still be superior as it goes down deeper, has larger soundstage and also has better highs due to RAAL

Only other speakers I can think that will offer you same level of performance at similar price point but with different house sound would probably be speakers made by Dennis Murphy or Salk Sound

I think salks are way more expensive than ascends at all levels. You also pay more to salk for their custom veneers too but it is your comment about the salk's sound signature that would like to hear more about.

I have Sierra towers with RAAL towers and a horizon and have attended a few audio shows where I heard way too expensive salks but nothing in the prices range of the sierra towers.

Thanks
    Ron

My 2's compare very favorably to Revel Ultima Gems (1) on similar / same media.

At about 1/4 the price new vs. new (recognizing Gem 1's can only be bought used) the price vs. performance ratio is ridiculous.

IF you can find a set of Revels used, you'll still pay $1000+ more and won't be any happier with what your ears pick up.

I think that the way question is worded needs some tweeking. Does any other speaker at the $1500 have as high as a cost in materials used in the speaker? I think the answer to that is, only a small number of speakers might be in the class as the Sierra 2.

Saying one speaker can compete with another is kind of a loaded question. How are you measuring performance of one versus the other? There are lots of different things you can compare. You can get a super efficient Klipsch speaker that can beat the sierra 2s in terms of efficiency and maybe even having lower distortion (at least in the high end) at say 100dB or 105 dB at the $1500 level. Does that mean the Klipsch speaker is better? You can get a Magnepan speaker that might produce a more realistic and larger soundstage at or near that price point. Is the Magnepan better? The Sierra 2 has much more uniform off axis response than the previously mentioned speakers. Does that make the Sierra 2 better? I think that the real problem is that our preferences for speakers are quite subjective. Harmon has statistical research that says most people prefer speakers that are linear, with good off axis response, low distortion, good transient response, etc. But, there were some that didn't agree.

While I love my Sierra 2s and think that these will be speakers that are my reference speakers for quite some time, I can't say that everyone would agree that they are the perfect speaker for them. It could be because of hearing deficiencies or just plain personal preference.
    Last edited by N Boros; 09-15-2016 at 08:55 AM.

You can get a Magnepan speaker that might produce a more realistic and larger soundstage at or near that price point. Is the Magnepan better?
    I agree with your point. I just have a pet peeve with the above statement. How do you know if a soundstage is more realistic or accurate?
    Last edited by curtis; 09-15-2016 at 11:11 AM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I agree with your point. I just have a pet peeve with the above statement. How do you know if a soundstage is more realistic or accurate?
    Sorry. I haven't heard a planar magnetic speaker, but have heard and read many people describing them in this way or saying that they have a huge soundstage and kind of holographic imaging. They could have a "more realistic" sound to them, if a person has seen a certain live performance and can compare that with a good recording of that performance on the Magnepan speakers. I'm not sure if most reviewers have done this though.

I am interested in listening to planar magnetic speakers at some point though, since most reviewers do seem to agree on they have quite a different sound that just about any other traditional speaker. They seem to describe them in different ways though and have a hard time coming up with the words to completely convey how they are different though.