Thread: Sierra 2's and Nola Boxer ?

Default Sierra 2's and Nola Boxer ?

So I am in an interesting parental situation. My daughter lives in NYC and money is tight but she loves her music. She scraped up enough money to be getting a pair of demo Nola Boxer speakers for herself for her birthday. I am planning on ordering some Sierra 2's for myself and with her birthday coming next week I was contemplating whether to ship the Sierra's to her as a present and use her Boxers for a while until I reload on my funds and get some 2's or towers later. Now she is early 30's and likes a lot of electronic and pop music and my taste leans more towards folk and acoustic and occasionally classic rock. I want to make sure I get the best speaker match for her ears - and mine ! I know the Sierra 2's are great and read the Boxers were decent for their day. Is anyone familiar with the sonic qualities of both of these and which might be a better match for her ? (if it's the Boxers for her style of music I don't want to take them away from her with my gift ...

Default Re: Sierra 2's and Nola Boxer ?

Let her enjoy the speakers she earned for herself. Instead give her money to buy music, add ons, etc.

Nola Boxer by all accounts is a pretty decent pair of speakers, and depend on how much she paid for them, could be a real bargain, besides, if she is happy with them, that's all it matters right?

Keep the Sierra-2 for yourself for now and maybe when your daughter comes back home for visit, have a father/daughter listening session with her and see how she likes the Sierra-2 then go from there?

Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    Nola Boxer by all accounts is a pretty decent pair of speakers, and depend on how much she paid for them, could be a real bargain, besides, if she is happy with them, that's all it matters right?

Keep the Sierra-2 for yourself for now and maybe when your daughter comes back home for visit, have a father/daughter listening session with her and see how she likes the Sierra-2 then go from there?
    I agree with this.She may just like the voicing of that speaker for the music that she likes. Not everyone wants a really accurate speaker, but I do. Maybe get her a nice amp that'll make them sing instead?
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post

Well she hasn't heard the Boxers yet so she doesn't know their sound which is why I am considering giving her the Sierras if they were more to her taste. Which is why I was hoping someone could compare the speakers. Just a parental idea.

Fun idea...

If you can swing it...have a father/daughter listening session and compare both sets of speakers.
    -curtis