Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Def

What is your budget for this new tv?

I've had a hd ready tv for over two years now. It is a 42" toshiba rear-projection tv (rptv). I love the hd picture, but imo all crt based rptvs are too much work. Out of the box, all crt rptv will require lots of tweaking to look good. My biggest complaint is the convergence which needs to be touched up periodically. It does have an auto converge feature, but it doesn't work very well (none of them do). Toshiba's of my vintage also have lots of interesting video problems (mostly ghosts).

If I had to buy a crt rptv it would probably be a hitachi. Both the tosh's and hitachi have really good strech modes, which is important because all sd material is 4x3. Just realize that all tvs have issues, you need to find the one with issues that bother you the least. []

If I were to buy another hd tv today, it would probably be either a sony gw3 or a sammy dlp set.

Read as much as you can for each set at the spot. I think they have the best source of rptv info on the web (but you need to pay for it).

I also bought mine online and would do it again in a heartbeat. Don't feel you have to buy it in a store because of the size.

edit:

whatever you buy, make sure it has a dvi input!

I'm using a 30" Samsung 3098WHF HDTV, with a complete satellite/OTA HDTV hookup. HDTV image quality is breathtaking and now is the time to get into it if you ask me. If you live near a large city, you should be able to get most if not all of the major networks in HDTV, in addition to non-OTA HDTV stations via cable or satellite.

The Best diret-tube sets are probably the Sonys (the 34inch for $1899 is probably the best deal, IMHO). I went Samsung cause i couldnt get the Sonys to fit in the slot I have designated for my TV. The samsung's picture from the Tanus model with DNIe technology is probably just as good as the Sony, but it really needed some tweaking in the service menu before i got it looking good.

I have been looking at the Sony Grand Wega lcd rear projection units. I know this may be a little nit picky, but the top is so narrow, you can not put a speaker on it. Can't even use one of the special shelves because the rear is sloped pretty steeply.

Other than that....it is a nice TV. One of the 50 inchers would look nice on my new rack!!

-curtis

I just got my Sanus TV shelf in yesterday, and set it up last night on my aformentioned Samsung. (Without the shelf, has only about 2 inch top, but only about 30 degrees slope beyond). I was prepared to hear the crash of a cmb-340 to occur while i was sleeping (table rated at 15lbs, speaker weights 20lbs :0), but it never happened.

Curtis/azanon,

I know what you mean. The tops of these new tvs are way too small to support a speaker. I ended up building a shelf that mounts to the wall behind the tv for the center. I specifically didn't get the sanus shelf because you don't want to apply any pressure to the top or back of rptvs because this can flex the mirror and/or screen and cause picture distortions. Also I'm cheap... []

Derek

Just like azanon, have a Samsung TXM3098WHF 30" widescreen HDTV (complete with Sanus TV shelf). One would think that living in Richmond, right outside of San Francisco, that Comcast would provide a slew of HDTV channels! Alas, that it isn't so, but OTA signals look pretty impressive and, with as many movies as I watch, being able to maximize the picture quality of DVDs with a progressive scan signal alone is worth it.

Settled on my HDTV because it was considerably cheaper than alternatives from Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic etc. while, after tweaking, providing a comparable picture IMO. Also had to go direct-view because the shape of my living room -- wider than it is deep -- makes RPTVs unusable at some of the more off-axis viewing positions.

When I was looking at RPTVs, Toshibas and Hitachis did seem to provide some of the highest picture quality out there. The higher end RCA Sceniums (the one's w/o the built in DVD players) actually seemed to provide an even better picture, but RCA's history of set failures galore should be an indication to look elsewhere.

Victor

Samsung 43in DLP. soon, sooooon, mwahahahahaha...

[he_who_dares_wins] - sas

OK they picked up my TV. Apparently, I have a transformer problem.

I talked to the techs(they send two these days due to the weight of modern sets) this evening and they were as down on HDTV as the call center guy. They said any display made after 2000 by any of the manufacturers are crap especially flat screens and HDTVs. They truly felt that the TV companies are trying to get people use to replacing $2-5K displays on a three year cycle. They said that you would not believe the volume of displays that fail within thirty days of the warantee expiring.

No place in this conversation with the techs did I say I was considering replacement instead of repair. I just asked which are the more reliable brands. This company only does repairs no sales. One of them did say go ahead and buy an HDTV so we can come back regularly.

I'd hoped for better news from the service guys.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I have been looking and researching quite a bit lately. My first thought is you should defintitly spend some time researching current display offerings, and their individual pluses/minuses. There are so many options with competing technologies right now (plasma, LCD, DLP, rear projection LCD, LCos, tube, front projection, etc.).

My own eyes keep getting stuck on the Samsung DLPs and the Sony Grand Wega Rear Projection LCDs. If I had to choose today... I really think I would opt for the Sony Wega LCD (maybe the XBR), but it would be a tough decision against the Samsung. I personally think the Sony picture is smoother and maybe a little richer looking. I have read some very good reviews on the Hitachis and Toshibas as well, but my eyes keep getting pulled to the Sony and Samsung. Check out some of the other online forums like www.hometheaterforum.com and www.avsforum.com (under "displays")for more specific opinions in this regard. Lots of choices and issues to consider that (like music) come down to some individual likes and dislikes. The great news is quality is getting much better faster with most all of these technologies, and every year leaps are being made by one or more of these technologies and manufacturers. You might pick up a copy of a NEW magazine, called HDTV ETC. It gives a good explanation of all HD technologies, and the issues associated. This is the same publisher as DVD ETC Magazine, and they released their premier issue of HDTV ETC. this year with overwhelming success and response. The response has been so good with the first issue they are going to come out with more frequent issues for 2004. DVD ETC. Magazine has their own thread on www.hometheaterforum.com. Great read and education for anybody wondering about High Def TV!

Just a little thought... keep a keen eye for reproduction of the "blacks".... The tube still has some of the best blacks available today, and the other technologies are improving in this area quickly, but many are still weak (or gray)and lack contrast/detail... IF you are a plasma guy... check out Fujitsu (expensive but SWEET), or for cheaper $$ the Panasonics' are pretty awesome with nice blacks....

Dave.

Dave- I'm fairly well up on my options. I'm just concerned about reliability after talking to the guys that fix our babies on a daily basis. They said Sony reliability has dropped tremendously in the past two years. He said "two years ago I've told you Sony w/o a doubt is the best and can't say that anymore."

He also said for Toshiba repairs they no longer use Toshiba parts because they have had as much as a 50% fail rate on replacement parts from Toshiba during the one year warantee period the repair service gives on all their work.

They said these companies are trying really hard to keep it their dirty little secret as to how many problems the HDTVs are having. They feel that wanting to keep it quiet is why they do not allow service centers to work on them. They have to be shipped back to the manufacturer for repairs!!

I guess I'm really looking for reliability experiences. I have a subscribtion to The Perfect Vision.