Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally made the Sierra 2 plunge

Default Re: Finally made the Sierra 2 plunge

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    Hmm. I don't have a lot of flexibility in location. Basically on each side of the TV. But they can be ~1 to 2 feet from the back wall. And I bought 24" stands that should be the right height for the couch.

side surrounds aren't in the right location.
    They should be directly to the side or slightly behind the seating area.
    Have you seen the Dolby specs?
    -curtis

I had them further back but it didn't really sound that great and they were more in the way. Doesn't seem to be much of a problem with them where they are. Ball games and the usual surround stuff sounds fine. I look at the surround option as somewhat novelty.

That said, what made me want to upgrade my speakers in the first place (17 year old Sound dynamic 300ti 3 ways) is that when listing to music it sounds much better with the side speakers on (orbs), as the orbs just add a lot of mids and highs. But I hate listening in the artificial surround modes. So that started me looking for speakers with a more high end than what I had for my mains, which eventually led me to sierras....

Thx!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    I had them further back but it didn't really sound that great and they were more in the way. Doesn't seem to be much of a problem with them where they are. Ball games and the usual surround stuff sounds fine. I look at the surround option as somewhat novelty.
    If you like them where they are, great. I was just wondering if you tried the recommended Dolby or ITU standards.

Multi-channel/hi-res music and home theater, for me, is more than a novelty...as important as two-channel.
    Last edited by curtis; 09-08-2016 at 09:52 PM.
    -curtis

Yeah, I'm not a home theater nut. I have a great pioneer plasma though that still seems better than nearly all of the newest screens.

I've tried the surrounds in diff locations, used audesy xt, etc (I have a marantz 5009). Its all toys to me and I have given up and instead just set the levels and eq manually to my tastes. I might try to upgrade the receiver someday once the speakers settle in.

Its hard enough to find a movie that's watchable lately. I go to a movie maybe once a year and even that's too much! If it has good surround sound, that's totally secondary. My main interest is hearing the dialog. Otherwise I like listening to music, which I usually do in pure mode.

I do like ball games in surround and that's about it.

Pioneer plasmas are great. My mom has one of the Elite models and it still looks better than most other TVs out there.

It's the monitor only version of the 50" elite. Unfortunately it looks so much better than anything new I've seen, that it's preventing me from upgrading to a 65! The dark blacks in particular are amazing. And my girlfriend likes noire-esqe depressing foreign movies!

I picked up an LG OLED for myself. Although not perfect, the picture is pretty awesome. The blacks are even better than plasma.