Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My speaker journey: Tannoy, SVS and the final stop Ascend Acoustics

Default My speaker journey: Tannoy, SVS and the final stop Ascend Acoustics

Four years ago i decided to get some speakers for my apartment. Nothing crazy, i was thinking 2 channel setup maybe 5.1 at the most. For someone like me with no knowledge on where to start I felt defeated before i even began. I decided to do what any young man should do i asked my father for advice.

Even before i was born my father was heavily into hifi systems & music. When i was a baby, he would sit me on his lap and play anything from Miles Davis, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. As a kid I always wondered why were his speakers so large and what were those heavy electronic things on stands? I guess it took 30 years for me to become just like him.

He told me to look into Tannoy speakers (mercury line) their priced right and sound good (I was looking to spend $400 max on a pair) so i did. I purchased Tannoy Mercury V4's and a
    yamaha rx v673 receiver. I was in musical bliss!!!! For the $200 i spent on V4's they were a steal but i wanted more.

Fast forward to last year i started looking to upgrade my system. This time i really started reading up on my options, and it came down to four companies: SVS, Aperion, Phiharmonic and Ascend Acoustics. Memorial day came and SVS made me a offer on b-stock set i couldn't refuse. Did i make the right choice? Ascend was an hour from my house would i regret not doing a audition? The Ultra Towers arrived and at first they met every need i wanted. I couldn't believe the lows these speakers could produce. Mids were great too but the highs were missing that extra level of detail. The more i listened the more i felt like it was all about the low end. Movies were phenomenal especially action movies, but the music is what i listen to the most. I do credit my ultra's on converting some of my friends into buying a system. I've had a chance to listen to all kinds of systems the past four years and the more i listened the more i knew what i wanted. No knock on the ultras, but for the type of music i like they weren't doing it for me.

Last week i finally get the nerve to call on Ascend and see if i could get a audition of the Sierra 2's and Towers with RAAL. The lady who answered was very nice and answered all my questions. With the audition date set i started to wonder would they live up to the hype? I decided to take my dad with me since he has good ear and he loves this stuff.

First album we played

Sarah Vaughan-Crazy and mixed up

My dad and I didn't say a word until maybe track 3, i think we both were in a musical trance lol. The Sierra 2's sounded so precise, detailed and clear without being bright it was shocking. We stayed for 2 hours or so listening to:

Miles Davis (can't remember the album)
    Terry Callier-Timepeace
    Diana Krall-Live in Paris
    James Blake-Overgrown
    Dire Straits-Brothers in Arms
    Gordon Lightfoot-Best of

I had zero intentions of buying anything that day and i ended up buying Sierra 2's on the spot LOL. My only regret was not listening to the towers and center channel while i was there. Instead of putting these in the bedroom, the Sierra's will be my main speakers in the living room. I packed up the ultra towers and will be selling them

I apologize for the long thread and misspellings.

Thank you Dave & Dina for being so kind and informative. Your speakers have made me rethink my audio plans. Next up Sierra Horizon (with RAAL), CBM 170 for destktop and Rythmik F12 or F15.

Default Re: My speaker journey: Tannoy, SVS and the final stop Ascend Acoustics

Awesome story. My Dad also got me into hifi, he had a very nice Triad home theater that I loved to watch movies in all day. My top 4 companies were the exact same ones as yours, and I live pretty close to Aperion Audio, so I stopped by and auditioned their speakers before I bought my Sierra Towers and Horizon with RAAL tweeters. The Aperion speakers are very similar to how you described the SVS towers, very nice and dynamic, really great low end, but the high end just isn't there, especially with their dome tweeter that is axially stabilized, it's very lush, but not detailed. I loved the dynamics and enormous soundstage, but knew there was more detail to be had since I have Audeze LCD-2 headphones that were my detail reference.

Well, once I had the cash I went for Ascend due to the incredible engineering that Dave has done and documented. As a chemical engineer, going for something with incredible measurements and sound logic and engineering behind it coupled with RAAL tweeters and American made bamboo cabinets, I couldn't say no, and I'm glad I didn't. One day you should put those Sierra 2's in the back as surrounds and go for the Towers and Horizon.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Sludgeogre thank you for the reply. What speakers did you have before your Ascend's? This message board (the members) are so much nicer than other forums lol. Whats your thoughts on Emotiva xpa-5? For my computer im using Emotiva mini xa 100, Emotiva dc-1 dac and Tannoy V1's. Its a great little amp for desktop use but im thinking of going with xpa 5 (gen 2) or xpa 2 for the living room. I see the gen 2 xpa for sale used all the time. Right now im using a Yamaha Aventage rx-a2040 with my Sierra 2's.

I also enjoy this forum for the same reason, it's a great place. Before my Ascends I was using Magnepan Tympani 1D's that my Dad gave me, vintage 1972 with the original warranty paperwork and everything, and before that just a pair of crappy Klipsch bookshelf speakers. I also have the Mini-x amp and I like it, but it's only good for small rooms with highly efficient speakers or for near field use, but it's still a good amp for that. The XPA-5 is incredible, especially for bigger rooms. It has seemingly endless power for the Sierras, really makes everything come alive. I used it on my Maggies and it was a revelation compared to anything else. I had to bi amp them, and at 4 ohms they were getting roughly 600 watts per channel so it was really something to behold with how huge that soundstage was, but the speakers need some work and they lacked dynamics and clarity. The Sierra Towers are far more musical and dynamic. One never tires of the RAAL tweeters, ever. Anyway, I highly recommend the XPA series of amps. Pair it with an Oppo Blu-Ray player or an affordable surround processor like my Marantz AV7701 from Accessories 4 Less and you're golden.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Welcome to the dark side muahaha lol.

Congrats on your purchase. I still have yet to read one bad post about the Sierra 2s. Noone in my family is into high or high quality surround sound for movies. My first set ever beyond HTIB is ascend.

My 2s will end up in my bedroom someday when I put towers up front and their upcoming sats for a 7.2 surround.

Check out the horizon for a center or even the Sierra 2. I used a Sierra 2 for awhile for center but am sending it back because of color differences that bother me. I will be pickingn up a horizon before years end.

Quote Originally Posted by kyzersoze98 View Post
    Four years ago i decided to get some speakers for my apartment. Nothing crazy, i was thinking 2 channel setup maybe 5.1 at the most. For someone like me with no knowledge on where to start I felt defeated before i even began. I decided to do what any young man should do i asked my father for advice.

Even before i was born my father was heavily into hifi systems & music. When i was a baby, he would sit me on his lap and play anything from Miles Davis, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. As a kid I always wondered why were his speakers so large and what were those heavy electronic things on stands? I guess it took 30 years for me to become just like him.

He told me to look into Tannoy speakers (mercury line) their priced right and sound good (I was looking to spend $400 max on a pair) so i did. I purchased Tannoy Mercury V4's and a
    yamaha rx v673 receiver. I was in musical bliss!!!! For the $200 i spent on V4's they were a steal but i wanted more.

Fast forward to last year i started looking to upgrade my system. This time i really started reading up on my options, and it came down to four companies: SVS, Aperion, Phiharmonic and Ascend Acoustics. Memorial day came and SVS made me a offer on b-stock set i couldn't refuse. Did i make the right choice? Ascend was an hour from my house would i regret not doing a audition? The Ultra Towers arrived and at first they met every need i wanted. I couldn't believe the lows these speakers could produce. Mids were great too but the highs were missing that extra level of detail. The more i listened the more i felt like it was all about the low end. Movies were phenomenal especially action movies, but the music is what i listen to the most. I do credit my ultra's on converting some of my friends into buying a system. I've had a chance to listen to all kinds of systems the past four years and the more i listened the more i knew what i wanted. No knock on the ultras, but for the type of music i like they weren't doing it for me.

Last week i finally get the nerve to call on Ascend and see if i could get a audition of the Sierra 2's and Towers with RAAL. The lady who answered was very nice and answered all my questions. With the audition date set i started to wonder would they live up to the hype? I decided to take my dad with me since he has good ear and he loves this stuff.

First album we played

Sarah Vaughan-Crazy and mixed up

My dad and I didn't say a word until maybe track 3, i think we both were in a musical trance lol. The Sierra 2's sounded so precise, detailed and clear without being bright it was shocking. We stayed for 2 hours or so listening to:

Miles Davis (can't remember the album)
    Terry Callier-Timepeace
    Diana Krall-Live in Paris
    James Blake-Overgrown
    Dire Straits-Brothers in Arms
    Gordon Lightfoot-Best of

I had zero intentions of buying anything that day and i ended up buying Sierra 2's on the spot LOL. My only regret was not listening to the towers and center channel while i was there. Instead of putting these in the bedroom, the Sierra's will be my main speakers in the living room. I packed up the ultra towers and will be selling them

I apologize for the long thread and misspellings.

Thank you Dave & Dina for being so kind and informative. Your speakers have made me rethink my audio plans. Next up Sierra Horizon (with RAAL), CBM 170 for destktop and Rythmik F12 or F15.
    Thank you so much for the nice comments. We give a lot of demos here and yours was one of the most memorable for us. It was so much fun talking shop with your father, about the older days of high end audio stores and how the industry keeps changing... Both of you were just so pleasant and fun to be around. Please come back and visit!!!

That said, I am so happy that the 2's were pretty much exactly what you were looking for and I hope they brought a big smile to your face after listening to them in your room

Thanks again!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I had a similar story. Called Dina on a whim when driving to San Diego and she was able to work in a demo for me and my college-aged kids.
    We actually played some of the same music as you, and ran the same "set" on the full line of their speakers.
    Dave started with the towers, which I loved, but with 3 kids in college couldn't quite afford. He set up everything else, and we finished with the Sierra 2's. After the first few notes of "Hotel California" (Hell Freezes Over version) both my kids looked at me with a "If you don't buy these you're an idiot" look that closed the sale.
    All 3 graduate this year, and the graduation present will be mine ... a new set of RAAL Towers, and a Horizon, with my Sierra 2's for surround.
    Enjoy your purchase. I know I've never regretted my decision for a second!

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    I also enjoy this forum for the same reason, it's a great place. Before my Ascends I was using Magnepan Tympani 1D's that my Dad gave me, vintage 1972 with the original warranty paperwork and everything, and before that just a pair of crappy Klipsch bookshelf speakers. I also have the Mini-x amp and I like it, but it's only good for small rooms with highly efficient speakers or for near field use, but it's still a good amp for that. The XPA-5 is incredible, especially for bigger rooms. It has seemingly endless power for the Sierras, really makes everything come alive. I used it on my Maggies and it was a revelation compared to anything else. I had to bi amp them, and at 4 ohms they were getting roughly 600 watts per channel so it was really something to behold with how huge that soundstage was, but the speakers need some work and they lacked dynamics and clarity. The Sierra Towers are far more musical and dynamic. One never tires of the RAAL tweeters, ever. Anyway, I highly recommend the XPA series of amps. Pair it with an Oppo Blu-Ray player or an affordable surround processor like my Marantz AV7701 from Accessories 4 Less and you're golden.
    You bi-amped the Maggies with xpa-5? I didn't even know you could do it with that amp.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Thank you so much for the nice comments. We give a lot of demos here and yours was one of the most memorable for us. It was so much fun talking shop with your father, about the older days of high end audio stores and how the industry keeps changing... Both of you were just so pleasant and fun to be around. Please come back and visit!!!

That said, I am so happy that the 2's were pretty much exactly what you were looking for and I hope they brought a big smile to your face after listening to them in your room

Thanks again!
    Dave thank you again my dad can talk peoples ears off especially when it comes to audio gear lol. Hope to hear from you soon about the horizon center and another audition. I sent you guys another email

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    I had a similar story. Called Dina on a whim when driving to San Diego and she was able to work in a demo for me and my college-aged kids.
    We actually played some of the same music as you, and ran the same "set" on the full line of their speakers.
    Dave started with the towers, which I loved, but with 3 kids in college couldn't quite afford. He set up everything else, and we finished with the Sierra 2's. After the first few notes of "Hotel California" (Hell Freezes Over version) both my kids looked at me with a "If you don't buy these you're an idiot" look that closed the sale.
    All 3 graduate this year, and the graduation present will be mine ... a new set of RAAL Towers, and a Horizon, with my Sierra 2's for surround.
    Enjoy your purchase. I know I've never regretted my decision for a second!
    Hahaha smart kids and congrats on the present to yourself. Thank you for the reply.

Whats this hotel california (hell freezes over) version about? Is it alot different from the original? I need to hear this....
    Edit: Ohhh it's the the eagles live album

theriddler07sms thank you for the reply. Hopefully i will be ordering that Horizon center this week and maybe oppo 103 (its my birthday on sunday). Idk how i'm gonna hide the center channel from my wife though LOL.
    Last edited by kyzersoze98; 08-22-2016 at 10:20 PM.