Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: sierra 2's without subs?

Default Re: sierra 2's without subs?

Those look like pretty big speakers. And with an 8" woofer, I wouldn't be surprised if they had more bass output than the Sierra-2.

For your couch, I think you'll get a bit more bass output by moving the couch further back instead of forward. Moving forward, you'll probably get less bass.
    Last edited by mikesiskav; 09-16-2016 at 11:52 PM.

Moving the couch but also toeing the speakers less seems to help a bit. And the backs of the speakers are about 15" away from the back wall.

I was watching the latest star wars movie last night and noticed a lot more bass for sure. But some of the really low bass breaks up the sound a bit - and you can really see the woofers jumping around during explosions and stuff. I may need to figure out how to filter that out a bit. Or go the sub route.

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    I was watching the latest star wars movie last night and noticed a lot more bass for sure. But some of the really low bass breaks up the sound a bit - and you can really see the woofers jumping around during explosions and stuff. I may need to figure out how to filter that out a bit. Or go the sub route.
    BB,

Movie audio mixes Can\Does carry bass passage demands "well below" the S2 port tuning. If you noticed the upper bass\lower midrange getting muddy or music\voice clarity "break-ups", the 6" curvy woofers may be over driven...Be Cautious! It is for these reasons most integrate a quality sub to playback HT audio while -protecting- their precious high-end monitors from the possible evils of Hollywood!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    BB,

Be Cautious! It is for these reasons most integrate a quality sub to playback HT audio while -protecting- their precious high-end monitors from the possible evils of Hollywood!

Ted
    Thx - other than hooking up a sub, how does one get the receiver to filter that content out of the main channels? I was playing around with trying to fool my amp into thinking a subwoofer existed, but it was still sending the deep bass.

You can set a crossover in the receiver even if you have no sub. Just set the speakers to small and set the crossover where you like (since you don't actually have a sub right now, I'd set the crossover fairly low, either 40 or 60hz). This will filter out the low frequencies going to your Sierra-2. 60hz will filter out more bass than 40hz.

Also, if your receiver has Audyssey Dynamic Volume, try turning that on. That will boost dialogue, and bring down the loud explosions. This is reducing the dynamic range of your system, but some people prefer it this way.

Thanks!! I will try that. When I set the speakers to small it didn't give me an option to say there was no Sub so I left them at large.

I also need to play around with Audyssey again, which I gave up on a while back and instead started setting things by ear. But that was mainly because I wanted to override the EQ settings to compensate for the weak treb in my old speakers. I get a sense already that I don't need to do that with the ascends.

TIA