Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sierra 2's without subs?

Thumbs up Re: sierra 2's without subs?

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    In a related note, for those who use a sub with their Sierra 2's, what subwoofer are you guys using? And how does it blend with the speakers? Do you use any room correction as well?
    GA,

I'm using an Axiom EP500 sub (12" ported-10 yrs old & crossed over at 60hz). It has always been very musical, articulate, has great low bass tonality and blends perfectly well with my Sierra's. I can't detect any severe room modes at my listening positions thus at this time and in my 90sf music-only listening room, I have no need for other room treatments or any equalization. My carpeted flooring, window shades and sofa (for listening party of "2") appears to work for me, contributing to a well balanced subsonic to ultrasonic audio spectrum.

The Sierra's bass is excellent and I can enjoy all of "my" music (jazz, R&B, orchestral, a capella and solo vocals, wind ensembles, etc.) full range w\o a sub. However, there is about 10% of the time that the music demands to be filled in at the bottom octave and a sub capable of going solid to 20hz really sounds natural and feels great!! But overall, even this 12" really is an "overkill" in my 9x10x11ft room as the output on the sub amp I set for proper monitor response balance at only the 6:30 position (adjust from 6 to 6). But when I do replace the Axiom, the Rythmik F12 will be at the top of my list. Once you hear what a well set up musical sub can do, it's hard to go backwards!

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 08-26-2016 at 10:47 AM.
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Default Re: sierra 2's without subs?

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    In a related note, for those who use a sub with their Sierra 2's, what subwoofer are you guys using? And how does it blend with the speakers? Do you use any room correction as well?
    Rythmik F15HP here.

Before I got a Rythmik, I had Hsus and also tried SVS. The Rythmik had better decay and transitions in my room.

FWIW...I went with Rythmik before Ascend started selling them.
    -curtis

12" sealed Rythmik here. I, like Curtis, found Rythmik before Ascend teamed up with them. I actually purchased the 12" Direct Servo kit from Rythmik and installed the parts in a custom built 2cu.ft. sealed cabinet.

I have been using it in a 2 channel setup with the sub amp handling the crossover duties. I feed the signal from preamp stage to it and it sends the filtered signal, 80hz, to my amp which then powers the Sierra-2's.

I have it setup in an open, finished basement of approx. 1600-1700 sq.ft. and it does terrific. I could probably benefit from the 15" version but I may add another 12" in the future depending on budget, etc.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

sierra 2 bass is pretty awesome by itself as far as bookshelves go at critical listening levels, the bass is super tight and so musical.. it is just missing the bottom octave, i had them with a large ported svs sub and it was great blend also. i found no room correction is truly best for the ascend's IMHO and i have used audyssey xt32, extensive listening and rew measurements. I'm currently using my srt towers with a rythmik f15hp through an anthem 520.

FYI...my system is EQd below 300hz.
    -curtis

I'll post a review when I get more used to the S2's and they break in, but so far I am feeling like I am missing the bass my older sound dynamic speakers had with their front ported 8" woofers. What would the smallest decent sub be that I might look into? Thx

What is your budget? I assume you are looking for a sub for music only?
    If you are using separated preamp and power amp, I would recommend take a look at Rythmik F12 with PEQ amplifier which has HPF build in

If you are using AVR and LFE connection, then either L12 or F12 with PEQ3 amplifier will work fine...

Not sure what all your acronyms mean. I would use the sub out of my marantz 5009 receiver. I mainly care about music. Don't want room shaking explosions - hate that. The smaller the better and internal amp. Budget < 700. Even under 500 if I could find something good.

I almost grabbed an F8 on clearance that I saw last night but it seems to be gone.

What's the model number of your old speakers? With an 8" inch woofer, it sounds like a larger speaker. Keep in mind, the Sierra-2 bass response is extremely linear and accurate. Many speakers have a boosted lower end to make them sound more impressive, but it is far from accurate. I'm not saying for sure this applies to your old speakers, but it is a possibility.

Also, can you give us an idea of your listening room size, shape, and seating position? All of those things can greatly affect the sound of your speakers particularly in the bass frequencies. For example, if your seating position is near the middle of the room, you'll be sitting in a bass null, which means the bass will be sucked out of your music.
    Last edited by mikesiskav; 09-15-2016 at 06:31 PM.

My old speakers are Sound Dynamic 300TI. Good speakers but too soft in the high end for me these days which led me to want to switch. My listening room is http://billwolf.com/temp/home1.jpg.

Maybe I can push the couch a little forward from mid room.

Thx!