Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sierra 2's without subs?

Default Re: sierra 2's without subs?

Blingleberry,
    From the description of your listening tastes I'd say the -2's will be just fine. If at any point you decide you need more bottom end heft than you can always add a Rythmik in the future.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Thumbs up Re: sierra 2's without subs?

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    Thx, I actually hate going to the movies these days. Too frigging loud. (and I sometimes play in punk and heavy rock bands). But I really do hate the explosive effects.
    "I Hear You"...Theaters have way over accentuated bass boom that simply overpowers dialogue, the music, Everything! I certainly Enjoy My HT audio much more (my sub setting starts at 6 o'clock, have it set one notch at 7 o'clock for proper overall balance)! Movie low\sub bass effects are in their place!

I need a center too but can't fit a horizon in my cabinet. More likely I would get 3 Sierra 2's, with one configured as a ctr.
    As riddler stated, properly set up S2's in a stereo only configuration yields an excellent "phantom" center image. You may find this sufficient and satisfying enough, but can easily incorporate full SS in the future.

BTW, I wouldn't say music is background. I've been a musician for over 40 years so more like life is background for music ;-)
    Agreed...I listen to Music (2.1 in 90sf room) and HT (5.1 in 440sf room) at "live" listening levels (well maybe a little less with spouse in attendance)! I have no issues with the Sierras in my dedicated music listening room achieving realistic acoustically concert levels (except maybe punk and heavy rock at absurd volumes)!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

I think the Sierra speakers have to be great for people that don't need a lot of bass, because as people said, what's there is really punchy and impactful. If you don't care for LFE, then no big deal. I have to say that although I haven't heard the Sierra 2, I think you should go for the Towers, which I have. They are the same footprint as the Sierra 2 on a stand, but you get so much speaker in that compact package. Then you can do full range down to 32 Hz perfectly with stereo music, no need for a sub at all (although I enjoy my F12s in a big room). Get a Sierra 2 center for movies and you're golden. That's my two cents.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

thanks Ed and Alex.

I think you sum up my fundamental decision! Get S2, which will look better in our small space, probably will sound perfect, and maybe get a sub if needed someday. Or just splurge for the Towers.

Either way I still only have room for an S2 center, unless I replace the cabinet.

Decisions decisions!

Check out the B-stock Sierra 2's the money you save from those compared to Sierra Towers will net you an F12 sub.

I bought B-stock and cannot find anything wrong with them, other than my pesky fingerprints.

I find the bass very acceptable on my 2's. I do have a Rhythmik sub, but it's set quite low and adds just a touch of low end which is really only noticeable on music with REALLY low end (e.g. Stanley Clarke's "Silly Putty", etc.). The bass at both distance and near field are quite impressive.

I would start with the 2's and add a sub if (and only if) you think you're missing anything.

I'm a drummer and my whole family is musicians. I find loud / heavy sub settings to be unnatural. My 24 x 20 kick never gets that low.

Wait, are you J.. on cymbaholics and drumforum?! Too funny if so. We've traded cymbals.

Anyway that's a very helpful answer. As a drummer too I totally get what you're saying. I've given up all my big BD's and just use 16"-20" ones these days. But even the biggest drums I've played in the past, tuned as low as possible, with kickports and superkick 3's, don't go that low in real life. Its all in the mix :-)

Silly Putty. I just had to listen to it. It's been years. Thx!

-Bill (wolfereeno)
    Last edited by Blingleberry; 08-18-2016 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    Wait, are you J.. on cymbaholics and drumforum?! Too funny if so. We've traded cymbals.

Anyway that's a very helpful answer. As a drummer too I totally get what you're saying. I've given up all my big BD's and just use 16"-20" ones these days. But even the biggest drums I've played in the past, tuned as low as possible, with kickports and superkick 3's, don't go that low in real life. Its all in the mix :-)

Silly Putty. I just had to listen to it. It's been years. Thx!

-Bill (wolfereeno)
    Ha! Yeah, I use the same name on all the forums! Small world.

In a related note, for those who use a sub with their Sierra 2's, what subwoofer are you guys using? And how does it blend with the speakers? Do you use any room correction as well?

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    In a related note, for those who use a sub with their Sierra 2's, what subwoofer are you guys using? And how does it blend with the speakers? Do you use any room correction as well?
    Check out the Rythmik Subs. I had an F12 and it blended perfectly with the speakers. Wasnt enough bass for my liking so I am switching it to a FV15HP.

There is a lot of people who say the rythmik subs are very musical. Check Them out, you wont find anything bad said about them.